Call Answered: Jo Dee Messina InterviewMay 23, 2023
Interview Originally Published in 2010
Jo Dee Messina performed live at the 58th ACM Awards with Cole Swindell on his smash hit song "She Had Me At Carolina (Remix)."
Watching Jo Dee in the below clip, took me right back to 2010 when I interviewed her & saw her perform live at Feinstein's at the Regency in NYC. It brought back so many amazing feelings from that night.
Here is a behind-the-scenes story that I have never shared about my 2010 interview:
After the show, my dad & I were brought into the VIP room at Feinstein's, where Jo Dee was waiting for us. I never forgot the way she made me feel as if my dad & I were the only people in the world during that interview. Jo Dee really took the time to answer ALL of my questions. I didn't feel rushed, despite the fact there was a crowd of people waiting to come into the after party.
She was so kind throughout the whole interview. After we finished, I asked if I could take a picture with her, to which she graciously replied, "Yes." My dad was the one who took our photo & afterwards, she even invited my dad to take a picture with her. I was over the moon with Jo Dee's generosity & time. It meant the world to me that she wanted to take a picture with my dad.
I have never forgotten how special Jo Dee made me feel that night. I have been a fan of this amazing singer for many years and to have this experience as my first time meeting & seeing her live was truly wonderful!
Original 2010 Interview:
Tonight, I had the distinct pleasure of seeing and interviewing country superstar Jo Dee Messina, whose hits include " Heads Carolina, Tails California," "Bye Bye" and "I'm Alright."
She performed at Feinstein's at the Regency from March 16-20, 2010 as part of her Music Room Series Tour, playing intimate venues where she really connected with fans by taking requests & questions from the audience between songs.
In this interview, Jo Dee revealed:
- Her inspirations
- Whom she'd still like to work with
- Most embarrassing moment
- Best Advice
- Her hero's/shero's
- Much more
Connect with Jo Dee: Website, Facebook, Instagram
Jo Dee Messina and Adam Rothenberg, Feinstein's at the Regency 2010
1. Who inspired you to become a performer? Dolly Parton, The Judds, Bonnie Raitt, and James Taylor. In my full show (we only got to see 70 minutes of what is normally a 2 1/2 hour show) there is a lot of wild craziness that goes on and it's great to be able to pull off a Dolly Parton or Reba McEntire influence show which is all of the big woo-ha-who and do a James Taylor kind of laid back, let's just hear about the music.
It's a huge spectrum of influences in my career. I just love music. Even now, on my iPod, I have everything from James Taylor to Miley Cyrus to Casting Crowns to Maroon 5. It's all over the place. Okay, I gave you way more than you wanted.
2. Who is the one person you haven't worked with that you would like to? James Taylor, James Taylor, and James Taylor!
3. What has been your most embarrassing on-stage moment? It actually was not on stage, but this morning on national television. I thought we were doing something really quick and local and I wasn't paying attention to my paperwork so I had the worst outfit to wear on Fox and Friends.
4. Is there ever a time you thought about quitting? If so, what career would you choose? Recently. I thought about it recently because I could not get this record out. If I weren't singing, I would love to do something with TV, like hosting. Any kind of interactive TV show would be hysterical because it's all about the fans and listeners. I'd also like to write, which as I mentioned in my show, I've been working on a book forever and ever.
My Dad and Jo Dee Messina, Feinstein's at the Regency 2010
5. If you could dream about anyone while you sleep, who would it be? My husband. He's a hottie!
6. What's your proudest moment? Every time I can get on stage and perform, I'm proud. It's about having fun and sharing that experience with the person who cared enough to give up their evening and come.
7. Favorite hobby? Singing and writing.
8. Favorite way to spend your day off? Ah, hanging with you! I'm going to go run in Central Park tomorrow and I'm totally stoked about that.
9. Favorite website? Yours of course! Also weather.com because I'm always checking the weather where ever I'm going.
10. Superman or Wonder Woman? Wonder Woman.
11. Who do you consider to be your hero? The single moms out there that are pulling it off because I have the help of my husband and it's amazing how much that can take.
12. What is the best advice you've given, but not taken for yourself? Don't care what anybody else thinks.
Jo Dee Messina
More on Jo Dee Messina:
Jo Dee Messina is a seasoned veteran in the music industry, always evolving and reintroducing herself and her sound as she gains new experiences in life. Jumpstarting her career, Jo Dee’s breakout song, “Heads Carolina, Tails California,” made her a household name. Following the success of her debut, Jo Dee posted nine No. 1 hits, sixteen Top 40 songs, sold over five million albums worldwide, and was honored by the ACM Awards, CMA Awards, and GRAMMY Awards. As Jo Dee’s résumé grew, she proved to be a trendsetter and history-maker, becoming the first female in country music history to celebrate three consecutive multi-week, chart-topping songs.
Jo Dee later parted ways with her long-time record label and embraced the strong, empowered female persona for which she became known. Taking matters into her own hands, Jo Dee created Dreambound Records, called on her fans to become her dedicated team, and released her most personal album to date, Me.
Aside from her studio successes, Jo Dee has also created a reputation for herself as one of the most passionate, high-energy performers in the business. Sharing her hit tunes; newly penned, emotionally-driven songs; and personal testimony, Jo Dee has been traveling the country for many years, receiving rave reviews for her authenticity, commitment, and openness on stage. Hoping to inspire and enlighten fans from all walks of life with every step she takes, Jo Dee has made it her mission to present herself and her story with honesty, allowing people to see behind the masquerade.
With a decorated past in the rearview mirror and endless dreams and an open road of possibility before her, this relatable woman, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, speaker, author, and incredibly gifted singer-songwriter has only just begun. Fueled by faith, belief, and love, Jo Dee pours her heart and soul into everybody she meets and everything she touches, which is perhaps why Jo Dee Messina is such a timeless name in the music industry.