Call Answered: Casey Baer: Singer/Songwriter
Casey Baer is a rising singer/songwriter. The one video that really caught my attention was her duet with Bryce Xavier, covering Lennon Stella's "Like Everybody Else."
Casey is hard at work on her debut EP. It’s very exciting to have the opportunity to speak with her at this stage in her career!
1. Who or what inspired you to become a singer/songwriter? Singing is the only thing I’ve ever wanted to do! I made a promise to myself when I was three years old, sitting on my uncle’s shoulders at the Hillary Duff concert, crying and begging to be up on stage with her, that one day that would be me!
2. You are in the midst of writing/recording your debut EP. What can you tell us about this EP thus far? This year has been all about releasing singles. I will be releasing a few more before the end of the year. Stay tuned!
3. What have you learned about the writing/recording process that you didn't know before? I’ve completely fallen in love with writing. I learn something new every time I write! The most important thing is that there is no roadmap for writing music. You just have to write down what you feel.
4. What advice would you give to other rising indie singer/songwriters that you have gotten along the way? Write! Being able to write music is one of the most important skills you can have! Just keep writing as much as you can!
5. This past January you teamed up with Bryce Xavier for a cover of Lennon Stella's "Like Everybody Else." This is a three-part question:
How did you & Bryce come together to record this cover? Bryce is a good friend of mine. We always talked about singing together. I had been posting covers on Instagram and I said we should collaborate, and we did!
What was the best part about working with Bryce? The best part of working with Bryce was how much fun we had shooting the videos. We were always laughing and it made our friendship even better.
How do you feel you are "Like Everybody Else"? I guess I’m like everyone else in the way that I have good days and not so good days, and even if everything looks perfect on the outside, I’m always overthinking reality.
6. Your newest single is "Hold On." While the song is about holding on to a love, I'd like to take this question in a different direction. When things get tough for you, how do you "Hold On" and keep going? I have learned after many years of struggling with anxiety that I have to “Hold On” and get to the next moment, not to give into my feelings, or to give up when things don’t go my way. Songwriting has been my greatest way to help me keep going.
7. Your other single "Greatest Mistake" is about love gone wrong. Playing with the title in a different way, what is the "Greatest Mistake" you have made thus far? What did you learn from this mistake? The Greatest Mistake I’ve ever made is exactly what I wrote the song about! I fell for this guy so hard and he completely broke my heart. I was so upset for such a long time, but I wrote eight amazing songs while going through that heartbreak. I would’ve never been able to do this without him, and I don’t think I would love writing as much as I do now.
8. Who are some artists you hope to get to work with in your career? JUSTIN BIEBER, Billie Eilish, Rihanna and Post Malone.
9. What is something about yourself you'd like people to know that I haven't covered yet in this interview? I have a ton of new music on the way, including a really cool collab 😉
More on Casey:
Originating from Los Angeles, Casey Baer is a nineteen-year-old pop recording artist charting her own course with honest lyrics and powerful vocals. A year in the making, Casey’s first single, “Greatest Mistake,” was a first look of what’s to come in the young artist’s career. Produced and co-written by Grammy-nominated producer, Dru Decaro, “Greatest Mistake” serves as her first in many unapologetic takes on her formative years. Her latest single, “Hold On,” brings a summertime feel to her growing portfolio of teenage pop anthems. The song caught the music industry’s attention and earned her an official remix by the EDM producer duo, twoDB.
Through her music and engaging content, Casey has reached 250,000 music streams and grown her audience to over 50,000 across platforms in just under one year. She has worked with brands such as Daniel Wellington, Skullcandy, Blue Microphone, Crocs, and Revolve. She has also received media coverage from KTLA, Tiger Beat, Trending All Day, Music Insider, Action Magazine, Pop Culturalist, Famous Birthdays, and several others.
Casey is often found performing her music at venues across Los Angeles and at conventions such as NY Music Expo and Playlist Live.