Call Answered: Ilaria Della Bidia: Cutting Room Concert 6/21 and Touring with Andrea Bocelli
Ilaria Della Bidia is an Italian singer who has toured the world with renowned Tenor Andrea Bocelli for the past eight years. She can sing in 10 different languages including Italian, English, Spanish, Russian, Swahili, French, Armenian, Portuguese, Arabic, and Hebrew.
Ilaria is bringing her talents to New York City this Friday! Her concert, entitled, The Music of My Heart, will be filled with new compositions along with some of the most beloved ballads she sings in duet with Andrea Bocelli during their worldwide tours. Not only ballads, but beautiful songs that have remained dearest to her heart throughout her life and career resonant with Italian traditions and Cinema-dreamland creating a magical atmosphere with growing brio and elegance.
Ilaria will perform The Music of My Heart at the Cutting Room (44 East 32nd Street) in New York City this Friday, June 21 at 9:30pm. Click here for tickets!
1. This June, you will be performing at NYC's Cutting Room with your concert The Music of My Heart. What excites you about this upcoming concert? I would say: everything! First of all, the chance to share a piece of my heart in the very heart of New York City, at The Cutting Room, one of the most renowned showcase rooms, in a city that has always been so special to me. I'm honored to bring and share a bit of my Italy and love.
2. During this show you will be performing a mixture of new compositions together with some of the most beloved ballads you sing in duet with Andrea Bocelli during your worldwide tours with him. Which new composition and which duet did you know you just had to include in this New York show? All the songs from Andrea Bocelli’s repertoire are so magical and deep, but I followed my heart to make a choice particularly since some carry with them a very special memory. Can’t miss the beloved “Con Te Partirò (Time to Say Goodbye)” and “Canto della Terra” with whose success we usually end the concerts together collecting thousands of hearts in a standing ovation. Every time that moment leaves us wonderfully speechless. Also “The Prayer” is one of the best gifts from Andrea when in 2015 he called me to sing it with him in St. Peter Square, Rome for Pope Francis giving me the chance to meet him in person.
All these duets and songs chosen from the albums, Romanza, Cinema, and Passione, have been re-arranged by the great Italian composer and pianist Attilio Di Giovanni.
Another masterpiece that can not be missed is “Dare To Live (Vivere)” written by the composer Angelo Anastasio, a very special friend of mine who is also involved together with Attilio Di Giovanni and Pierangelo Spadoni in the composition of some of the new songs that will be performed in this concert. “Con Te (With You)” and “Light Is Life”, are previews of the new album that we have been working on in these months. I will be glad to present them again at The Cutting Room as soon the album is released.
In my kind of music love is the center of the universe, the cornerstone. “It’s The Heart” is a brand new song that the composer Dina Schmidt has written for me inspired also by the original fact that everywhere I go a heart shape objects or nature elements surprise me and remind us that love is all around. It is like a kiss from the Universe. This fact became viral and today many friends and fans all around the globe send me pictures of heart shape surprises that enrich our gallery on my social media with the hashtag #loveisallaroundyou
Another side of the coin, not only love, I will perform the rock ballad “Darc,” main theme of the homonym movie Darc produced by Julius R. Nasso starring among others Tony Schiena, Armand Assante, Dawn Olivieri and Vienna Hehir, together with Attilio Di Giovanni we composed the original soundtrack giving voice with grit and anger to the revenge of a humanity brutally hurt by yakuza and its violence.
There will also be other tributes to famous themes from the Cinema and traditional songs dear to my heart, and by their popularity also dear to the hearts of millions.
3. What is making you most nervous about performing for a New York audience? As an Italian, I received a very special welcome from Unites States of America by receiving the green card for artistic merits. Performing in the Big Apple for a New York audience is both an honor and a responsibility. I feel a great esteem for the cultural heritage that this city has always represented in the world.
I think that for every artist a concert is something like a close encounter where you present yourself naked, wholeheartedly, all of this of course creates both great emotion and a certain amount of excitement or nervousness. That night I will be happy to see and have many special friends in the audience, that for sure will make me feel their affection and warmth.
4. Since the concert is called The Music of My Heart, who are some musicians that inspired you to become a singer? My musical journey started at a very early age with the classical music. I studied and graduated at piano at the Conservatory of Lucca, Puccini’s hometown. Although in my career I’ve been embracing foreign cultures and several musical genres (jazz, pop, blues, dance), I never forgot my classical roots. Particularly I’ve always been attracted and inspired by the great genius from the Cinema, such as Charlie Chaplin, Ennio Morricone, Henry Mancini, John Williams with their special blend of images, sounds and melodies.
Also the great composers from Italian tradition have always been inspiring me such as Domenico Modugno, Tony Renis, the Neapolitan music together with the unique atmospheres that only the greatest voices could ever create, I’m thinking about Dean Martin and all the Rat Pack genius, Nat King Cole, Judy Garland, Louis Armstrong and among the contemporary Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli.
5. While this concert does not feature Andrea Bocelli, you did meet him in 2011 and have since then toured around the world as his guest artist. How did you meet him in 2011? Having met Andrea Bocelli has been a true gift from heaven, not only for the artistic value that gives performing alongside the world most beloved tenor but also, I would say most of all, for the human, spiritual and artistic treasure he has been shared throughout these eight years together.
Andrea always offers his truth, his knowledge and his best with power and humility, limitless always giving you at first trust and a chance. I think this is one of the secrets of his beautiful voice: the beauty of his soul, and this is also the main core and concept behind the Foundation that bears his name the Andrea Bocelli Foundation, empowering people and communities, whose missions are all so dear to my heart.
Andrea e Veronica Berti were invited by friends, the Rizza family to enjoy one of my shows in Versilia in the summer of 2011, in a club where I used to perform every night with my live band. We lived in the same city for years but we have never met before. I have the utmost gratefulness and gratitude for these friends and for this meeting that I will never forget.
6. How long after meeting him did he ask you to join him on his world tours? That night Andrea promised me he’d call me for performing during his concerts all around the world and in less than one month, I received the first call to join him in Siracusa for the great concert at the Greek Theatre, July 2011.
It’s funny, during the first five minutes of the call, I really thought it was a trick by the guys of my musical band. Then I realized it all was true and that a new wonderful door was opening up on my life.
7. What has performing with Andrea Bocelli taught you? The way Andrea sings is not only a professionalism it is a real way of life. In these years I learned to take better care of my body as it is the one and only instrument that we have in life for singing, but not only this, also the health within yourself and your soul.
What I learned is that the way you sing is the way you live and love. This becomes the most beautiful journey you can make within yourself with the gifts that good Lord has given to you. Now I know for sure that being an artist is not a choice but it is the answer to your own call: Yes.
8. In addition to singing in Italian and English, you also sing in Spanish, Russian, Swahili, French, Armenian, Portuguese, Arabic, and Hebrew. Which language was the hardest to learn and why? I would say Russian because of the differences of sound and the Cyrillic alphabet but in these weeks I’m approaching to Chinese and…oh! This going to be the greatest challenge!!!
9. When you look back to being a little girl in Tuscany to where you are now, what goes through your mind? Chills, impossible to hide goose bumps and the huge gratitude that fulfills my heart. My thoughts fly and caress all those people that consciously or not guided and supported me in this process of professional and human growth.
The thing that most moves and cheers my heart by taking a look back over all my life is to see how all my single steps were guided even when I thought to be in the fog of confusion. That is when you realize you have never been alone but guided and supported, by so many people around, by a Big lovely Hand over all of us and that we all are always where we’re meant to be. This faith gives me strength and hope where once there was worry or fear, adds joy and positive energy that I love to share with the world through singing and with my music!
10. What are some other projects you have coming up that you can tell us about? As I mentioned earlier, I’m working on my upcoming album Light is Life. This summer, alongside the Tours with Andrea Bocelli in Europe and Italy, we will be at work together with Nicolò Fragile internationally renowned artist and arranger that over the years has collaborated with famous Italian artists among them: Mina, Eros Ramazzotti, Renato Zero, Laura Pausini, Vasco Rossi, Celentano, Ornella Vanoni. I can’t wait to present this new project to you!
I’m also thrilled to announce that next June 26, 2020, in Muccia, Italy the new “E. De Amicis” pre-school and elementary will be inaugurated, built in just 150 days thanks to the funds and supervision of the Andrea Bocelli Foundation. This is another concrete and supportive response which restores hope to this Italian territory that is still suffering heavily from the damage caused by the earthquake. I will be honored to host the inauguration ceremony together with the famous tenor and philanthropist that will be present.
More on Ilaria:
Tuscan born and raised in Lucca, Ilaria Della Bidia graduated in piano at the Conservatory "L. Boccherini" and as a guest singer, pianist performer and writer she she attended several national TV, Radio and Theatre Shows . As a writer and song composer as well she has been collaborating for several discography projects, movie soundtracks, TV, radio jingles, documentaries, background and commercials.
In 2011, Ilaria met the most beloved tenor Andrea Bocelli and since then she has been performing with him as Guest Artist all over the world in Tours, Festivals and special Events. Among these are: Andrea Bocelli - Cinema Tour 2015/2016/2017/2018, Andrea Bocelli - Passione Tour 2014/2015 and Sì World Tour 2019.
In 2018 she composed and recorded together with Attilio Di Giovanni the soundtrack of the blockbuster Movie DARC produced and directed by Julius R. Nasso and distributed by Netflix worldwide platform.
Study, Passion and Love: Here are the three key words that make Ilaria Della Bidia a sincere artist, versatile, full of energy and emotion to give: "A voice that now with grit, now with tenderness, invites the soul to dance, leaving it free."
Ilaria sings and have been recording in Spanish, Russian, Swahili, French, Armenian, Portuguese, Arabic, Jewish as well as English and Italian as a tribute to some of the countries that kindly have hosted her by performing some of their most beloved and traditional songs.