Call Answered: Ana Sophia Heger: CBS' "Life In Pieces"
One of my favorite interviews on “Call Me Adam” are with performers just starting out in their career and then getting to see where they go. At just six years old, Ana Sophia Heger, has landed her first acting job on the CBS comedy Life In Pieces, now in its fourth season.
Ana joined the cast in Season 3, playing Lark Short, the daughter of main characters Greg Short and Jennifer Collins Short, played respectively by Colin Hanks and Zoe Lister-Jones.
Life In Pieces “is a comedy about one big happy family and their sometimes awkward, often hilarious and ultimately beautiful milestone moments as told by its various members. Of the three siblings, middle child Matt has finally married his true love, Colleen. The coddled youngest brother, Greg, and his wife, Jen, are struggling to find the balance between work and raising their toddler. The eldest, Heather, and her husband, Tim, have their hands full with three children. To make matters crazier, their oldest son and his wife are living on their property in a tiny house. Their parents are Joan, the family's adoring matriarch who would do anything for her kids—as long as she agrees with it—and John, the gregarious patriarch who's searching for ways to spend more time with his family. As the family's lives unfold in four short stories each week, they try to savor these little pieces of time that flash by but stay with you forever, because these moments add up to what life’s all about.
Life In Pieces airs every Thursday on CBS at 9:30pm!
1. You are currently starring on CBS' Life In Pieces, now in its fourth season, as Lark Short, the daughter of main characters Greg Short and Jennifer Collins Short, played respectively by Colin Hanks and Zoe Lister-Jones. What do you relate to most about Lark? I have a big family. I love being around my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins! On Life in Pieces we have so many scenes with Lark and her whole family. I love that!
2. How is she different from you? Lark wasn’t excited about finding out her mommy was pregnant. In real life, I was so excited to find out I was gonna get a little brother or sister!
3. This is your very first acting job. What was your reaction when you got the call you got the job? I was stunned! My jaw hit the floor, and my eyes got really big!
4. How did you celebrate booking this show? My mom and dad took me out to dinner and ice cream after.
5. What were you most nervous about before your first day of filming? So far, I haven’t been nervous. I just see it as so much fun and such an adventure. Every day is new and different.
6. What was your first day of filming like? It was great, and actually one of my busiest days I’d had was in Season 3. I had four big scenes, and they were so funny. It was all about Lark giving up her pacifier. The very first scene I filmed was laying in the crib with Colin and Zoe, and I pretended to be asleep.
7. What do you enjoy most about being on a TV show? I enjoy working with a big group of nice people who work hard. Colin and Zoe are so perfect at playing my dad and mom. They make it a lot of fun.
8. What have you learned about acting from being on Life in Pieces? My dad coaches me. He taught me to always listen and be in the moment. And I’ve seen my cast mates do their lines a little differently each take, which I love! Like they’re trying different ways, and then one way gets picked. It’s so cool.
9. Besides acting, you also enjoy painting. What are your favorite things to paint? Flowers, hearts, and rainbows. I’m trying to learn to paint mermaids now.
10. As you grow up, whom do you hope you get to work with in your career? Joey King. I work with her sister Hunter on Life In Pieces. I love Hunter! I saw some of Joey’s scenes on Season 4. She has a recurring part, and I keep watching them over and over. I think she’s a great actress.
More on Ana:
Ana Sophia Heger is a series regular on the CBS television series Life In Pieces. She plays the part of Lark Short, the daughter to main characters Greg Short and Jennifer Collins Short, played respectively by Colin Hanks and Zoe Lister-Jones. The all-star cast includes Dianne Wiest, James Brolin, Jordan Peele, and Betsy Brandt.
She began auditioning for roles at the age of three, with her parents supporting and guiding her. It was at three and a half that Ana landed the primetime role on Life In Pieces.
Ana calls Los Angeles, California her home with her German father, Rene, and American mother, Emily. She recently welcomed a newborn brother to their family. Ana is fluent in German and is currently learning Spanish as well as French. When she isn't in preschool or acting, Ana spends her time in ballet and tap-dancing classes, as well as drawing and painting.