Call Redialed: NEW Tori Scott Interview: "Thirsty For More"
My love for Tori Scott is as big as the laughs she ensues from her the stories she tells! This time around I get some juicy tales from the comedic queen as she gets ready to head out on a summer tour with her show Thirsty For More.
Thirsty For More will take audiences on an audacious musical journey of slurred autobiographical stories of regrets and songs she stole from other people. Tori’s summer tour will make stops at:
The Art House (Provincetown) - July 3 and July 29
Birdland Theater (New York City) - July 23
The Eugene O’Neill Theater Center (Waterford, CT) - August 2
The Blue Moon (Rehoboth Beach, DE) - August 5
VACAYA Ptown Cruise - August 11-18
1. This summer you are going out on tour with your show Thirsty For More. What can audiences expect from this show? More belting, more bad choices and more stories about blacking out! But on top of that, I’m going through a bit of a life crisis which is always fun, so I share some things I’ve learned while listening to a dozen self-help books on Audible.
2. What excites you about this summer tour? I love traveling and meeting people from all over! From Ptown I go to Madrid to perform on a river cruise, then back to NYC, then back to Ptown where I am opening for Randy Rainbow, then the O’Neill Center, Rehoboth Beach, and then an inaugural gay cruise! I realize how lucky I am and am not taking this for granted.
3. I feel your tour is the perfect summer destination to go on. If you could spend the summer in one place, where would that be? As long as there is sunshine and water, I’m happy. But truly a dream place I would love to go is Mykonos as long as I didn’t have to pay for anything!! What a perfect summer trip! I love sunshine and free things.
4. In this show you will be telling more slurred tales from your life while singing other people's songs. Out of all the songs you have stolen from people, who's was the biggest get (see what I did there with the play on words)? Ha! I mean Judy Garland is by far the one I enjoy stealing from the most! To stand there and just belt out of one her songs is a thrill. I wish I could have seen her live.
5. If you could go bar-hopping with five celebrities, meeting one at each bar, who would you go on this night out with? If only Elaine Stritch were alive. I would love to have had drinks with her…and I’d bring her to all the bars!! I would love to have a drink with Emma Thompson. I bet she’s fun! She never takes herself too seriously.
Remember when Reese Witherspoon was arrested for public intoxication and arguing with the cop? I would have a drink with her!! She would name drop and get us into places and we would probably get arrested which would be fun! Currently obsessed with Lizzo so I would definitely want to get a drink with her!
Oh and of course, Hillary Clinton. We’ve got a lot of shit talking to do.
6. What's one of your best drunken summer story that you do not talk about in your show? ? I can’t believe I’m telling you this, but I think enough time has passed. The first year I was hired to perform in Fire Island, I got so drunk at the Ice Palace after my show that I wet the bed in the Grove hotel. And then I pulled the trundle bed out underneath and rolled onto that one! I was so scared I’d never be hired again!! But you know what….a lot worse happened in the grove hotel and then a couple years later…it burned down! And I also learned a very important lesson. You don’t have to drink something just because it’s free.
7. What are you still thirsty for that you haven't drank yet? Success, baby!!! Bigger gigs, Broadway, an increase in my income!! I have a thirst for success! And, I’m ready for it!
More on Tori:
Tori Scott is a New York-based singer, actress, and comedian. In addition to Joe’s Pub at the Public, where she appears regularly, Tori has toured her solo shows to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, London, Los Angeles, Dallas, Provincetown, and on Atlantis Events cruise ships where she entertained thousands of shirtless gay men throughout the Caribbean.
As an actress, she has performed alongside Alice Ripley in the new musical The Girl with Polka Dot Eyes, and performed opposite Linda Lavin, Leslie Uggams, and Stephanie J. Block in the Symphony Space tribute to Sheldon Harnick and Fiddler on the Roof.
On television, she’s counted to 20 as a singing garbage woman on Sesame Street and dubbed the vocals of a singing hooker on HBO’s Cathouse: The Musical. Her debut album, Plan B!, was recorded live at Joe’s Pub and released on Chicken Ranch Records in December 2017.