Call Answered: Marieann Meringolo: "Between Yesterday and Tomorrow: The Songs of Alan & Marilyn Bergman"
I have known about Marieann Meringolo for quite a few years, but never got a chance to connect with her. I'm thrilled this day is here! Marieann has one of the most beautiful voices out there. She truly knows how to engage her audience with her talented vocals.
Marieann will be returning to The Iridium in NYC to celebrate the release of her newest album, Between Yesterday and Tomorrow: The Songs of Alan & Marilyn Bergman. Alan & Marilyn Bergman have written some of the biggest hits we know such as "The Way We Were" (made famous by Barbra Streisand) and "The Windmills of Your Mind" (from The Thomas Crown Affair). Marieann has taken these songs and truly made them her own.
Marieann will be at The Iridium in NYC (1650 Broadway at 51st Street) on Tuesday, May 29 at 8:30pm. Click here for tickets!
1. Who or what inspired you to become a performer? As a kid I always loved to sing. And I was especially influenced by musicals and seeing how a story could be told through a song. My first life changing experience was when I performed as a soloist for the first time at the age of 14 and sang “Don’t Cry For Me Argentina” in my high school talent show. I was always very shy...but after that moment I became known in my school as “The kid with the voice.” Also, back then HBO was featuring the one woman concerts of Bette Midler and Liza Minnelli and they really spoke to me. And, THE VOICE that most inspired me was the voice of Barbra Streisand.
2. This May you are celebrating the release of your newest CD Between Yesterday and Tomorrow: The Songs of Alan & Marilyn Bergman at The Iridium. What are you looking forward to most about this concert? Well, with the BluJazz label behind me now...I’m looking forward to reaching new audience members who may not have heard of me. Singing the songs of Alan & Marilyn Bergman and having been able to have them recorded live on an album is really a dream come true. I pour my heart and soul into these songs and I can’t wait to share them with the world.
3. When did you first become a fan of their music? Probably before I knew I was listening to their music. Their first body of work that blew me away was from the movie Yentl. Every song touched me so deeply...at the time I was 19 years old and I wasn’t paying attention to who wrote the songs. I went to see the movie because of Barbra Streisand (obviously). I believe the first album I listened to that made me put all the pieces together was listening to Johnny Mathis and his album Michel Legrand and the Bergmans...I fell in love.
4. What is it about their music that made you want to record an album of their music? I love telling stories through song and taking myself and my audience on a journey. And that’s exactly what their songs do. Honestly, every time I sing one of their songs, it’s like I’m singing it for the first time...going on a brand new journey every single time. It’s truly magical.
5. What was the first song you knew you had to record? What song do you wish you could have included that you didn't? Well, because the concert is a body of work that breathes together as a whole piece...I knew it had to ALL be recorded. I’m thrilled that as a live recording I didn’t have to leave out ONE song...because anything going wrong technically or vocally could have prevented that from happening. I had this one live recording shot...and we did it! One song that I love and is not in the concert is “You Must Believe In Spring.” The album has a total of 18 songs, but if I could have squeezed in one more, “You Must Believe In Spring” would have been it.
6. On this album you recorded "On My Way To You." At the beginning of the song, you say, "Life is about letting go and it's about trusting and never regretting because life is funny, we never know where it's going to lead us, but it always seems to lead us right where we are meant to be and for that I am truly grateful." At what moment do you feel you truly learned this lesson and what happened that made you realize this? I’m not sure of any specific moment that I realized this lesson. But it’s just who I am, it’s what resonates in my soul...it just feels like my truth. I believe in God and a Higher Power and so I’ve been drawn to teachings that are in alignment with my beliefs like Unity and A Course In Miracles. So, when I have my questioning moments I rely on those teachings and lessons to keep me living in my truth. And, to remember not to worry and to know that everything is always working out for our highest good, even if it doesn’t look that way. And, not always easy to follow as you will see reading my answer to your next question!
7. Another song you selected was "The Windmills of Your Mind." You sing the lyric, "Like the circles that you find in the windmills of your mind." What is something that keeps spiraling over and over in your mind that you just can't stop thinking about? Well, even though I’m mostly grounded (LOL!)...I still have had my freakout and venerable moments before I’ve gotten myself back into my true self. Now, I’m definitely a romantic and believe that we could all live happily ever after. So, when my vision hasn’t always panned out and I’m feeling sorry for myself...at times it has become an endless spiraling down into the debts of depression. An intro that I share sometimes before I sing “Windmills” is: “For me the song represents a person who has just gone through a romantic breakup showing how thoughts, memories and emotions can consume us making us run in tortured circles.”
8. You also sing a less known Alan & Marilyn song "Love Makes The Changes." What is something that love changed for you? To recognize that it IS ever changing. When it’s Real Love...feelings of “being” in love may change form, but the deep emotion of loving someone never goes away. That’s when you know it’s REAL LOVE.
9. On your website, it's stated you believe we are all here to share our divine gifts. In addition to singing, what are some other divine gifts you feel you have to share with the world? Sincerity and kindness. I love when my singing gives me the opportunity to travel the world. And I love that I get to meet strangers who become friends. I don’t take my audiences for granted, I enjoy hearing their stories and welcome how we all touch each other’s lives...exchanging blessings along the way.
More on Marieann:
Marieann Meringolo is a native New Yorker who has been called “One of the circuit’s most powerful singers,” and “If k.d. lang’s DNA were to get whipped together with Barbra Streisand’s in a genetics lab specializing in divas, the result might well be Marieann Meringolo” by Time Out New York. She is a MAC Award-Winning Recording Artist as well as a Back Stage Bistro Award-Winner for “Outstanding Vocalist.” BroadwayWorld.com also had a say…in Nominating Marieann’s 2016 Alan & Marilyn Bergman show Between Yesterday and Tomorrow presented at Feinstein’s/54 Below for BEST TRIBUTE SHOW. And, noted by The Wall Street Journal…“If you don’t do it brilliantly it isn’t worth doing at all…Ms. Meringolo’s powerhouse interpretation makes full use of the dramatic Bergman lyric.”
Marieann thrills her audiences wherever she performs…Including these New York City venues: Feinstein’s/54 Below, Joe’s pub…at The Public Theater, Iridium, Metropolitan Room, The Friars Club, The Laurie Beechman Theatre, The Rainbow Room, The Hammerstein Ballroom and Tavern On The Green. She has toured with comedian David Brenner, has headlined at the State-of-the-Art Steinman Hall concert venue at The Ware Center, Lancaster, PA and can also be found performing on other Concert Stages around the country, or internationally as a Headliner on prestigious cruise lines such as Oceania, Regent Seven Seas and Princess…Marieann is an entertainer who always leaves her audience cheering for more!
Marieann can be heard on several recordings: Her critically acclaimed debut album, Hold Me CloseI. Her Award-Winning second solo CD, IMAGINE…IF WE ONLY HAVE LOVE (Back Stage Bistro Award & MAC Award for Outstanding CD & Recording of the Year). Her Live CD/DVD Here’s To The Ladies! A Salute to Great Ladies in Song was praised as a “Four-Star Dazzler” in Cabaret Scenes Magazine, and is proud to have released her long awaited and critically acclaimed Holiday CD In The Spirit.
Marieann’s gorgeous voice is often played on radio stations and the internet around the world, and has been heard on selected United Airlines flights as well as Air Force II. She has also had the honor of performing live at the United Nations.
Marieann believes we are all here for a divine purpose: To share our gifts with the world…She feels very blessed to have the opportunity to do so.