Call Answered: Sharon Needles: "RuPaul's Drag Race" + "Halloween Special '18"
In one of my most chilling interviews to date, I’m thrilled to have been able to talk with RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 4 winner Sharon Needles about her upcoming Halloween show at The Laurie Beechman Theatre!
I remember seeing Sharon Needles at The OUT 100 Awards a few years ago. I was fascinated by her. In a room filled with hundreds of people, Sharon had everyone under her spell!
The Sharon Needles Halloween Special 2018 will play The Laurie Beechman Theatre (407 West 42nd Street, between 9th & 10th Avenue in the basement of the West Bank Cafe) from October 9-13. Click here for tickets!
1. Before we get to your new Halloween show, let's quickly talk RuPaul's Drag Race.
What initially made you want to be on the show? I was a huge fan of the three seasons prior to mine, but was convinced that I was in no way qualified for the competition...and even if I was, I knew no network would put on a queen with a name like SHARON NEEDLES! My partner at the time, Alaska, had auditioned every year and came quite close to sealing the deal, so I decided to give it a go..AND LOOK AT US NOW!
Was there ever a time you felt like you were going to be sashayed away? I was convinced I was heading home on the “Bitch Ball” episode. My costumes didn’t come out the way I wanted so I literally wore my dirty boy clothes, a 13 dollar off the rack dress, a digital camera as a scram bracelet, and a fucking dog! Oops, I won that challenge as well.
What did it feel like to win? TERRIBLE! WORST DAY OF MY LIFE! Haha
Seven years later, does winning mean the same thing to you? I’m still very proud of representing Season 4…or as I call it Season 4ever. We were the game changers. We were the odd balls…we brought the heart and the drama. We took a beauty pageant and made it an art gallery. The show hasn’t been the same since.
2. This October you are debuting your new Halloween show THE SHARON NEEDLES HALLOWEEN SPECIAL 2018 at the Laurie Beechman Theatre. What are looking forward to most about this show? This is my third time doing my Halloween Special and I love it!!! Nothing feels more cunt then showing up every night to your own Broadway theater…even if it’s in the basement of a steak house. This year’s show is called CELEBRITY MORGUE, where I navigate through the short cut lives of the famous and their very permanent deaths. My two favorite things! FAME AND DEATH!
3. What was the easiest part of the show to write and what part gave you trouble? I used to panic at the idea of controlling a room for an hour and a half, but as I get more seasoned I find the show writes itself. The hardest part is vocally packaging what’s in my head for an audience because what’s going on under that wig is disturbing.
4. Since the show is being promoted as a walk on the spooky side, what is the scariest road you ever walked down? I own a hearse! I don’t walk!
5. What's your favorite part about Halloween? Everything! The horror movies! The costumes! The pumpkins!
6. If you could go trick or treating with any three people, who would you want to join you? Joan Rivers. Joan Collins. Joan Crawford.
7. What was it like to find out that your hometown of Pittsburgh was making June 12, "Sharon Needles Day"? TERRIBLE! Second worst day of my life !! Haha
8. You have quite a grueling tour schedule. How do you stay healthy? I don’t ! I could go at anytime. You don’t want to miss this show! It could be my last!
9. What is the funniest thing to happen to you during a live show? During a show with fellow RuPaul Drag Race cast members in Manchester, the confetti cannons which were suppose to be facing the audience, were actually placed two feet from our faces. When they went, it blew the contacts out of our eyes, made us lose our hearing and burnt our skin. And it was so loud! Oh, wait…none of this sounds funny…
10. With all the make-up you wear, how do you keep your skin cared for? ABOLENE AND BOTOX!
More on Sharon Needles:
Sharon Needles, the winner of Season Four of RuPaul's Drag Race, is an accomplished musical performer blending her unique sense of music and fashion into an unforgettable stage show. Sharon Needles debut album, PG-13, rocketed to #4 on the iTunes pop CD chart immediately upon its release.
In 2013, she announced a forty-city world tour, extending her Every Night is Halloween Ball into Europe, Australia, Canada, and the United States. In 2012 Sharon Needles appeared as “Frank N. Furter” in a stage production of The Rocky Horror Show. In 2014 she premiered her solo show Hot For Teacher at The Cutting Room and she made her Laurie Beechman Theater debut in 2016 with her Halloween special. A vegetarian, she is the face of an advertising campaign for PETA.