Call Answered: Mauricio Martinez: "De México To Broadway" at Feinstein's/54 Below
“Get On Your Feet, get up and make it happen!” That is just Mauricio Martinez has done, making himself a household name in Mexico and Latin America. Two years ago this international sensation made his Broadway debut as Emilio Estefan in the Broadway and First National Tour of On Your Feet.
Now he is returning to Feinstein’s/54 Below with his concert De México To Broadway, to take the audience on a musical journey of his life & multifaceted career.…and his “love affair” with New York. De México To Broadway will play Feinstein’s/54 Below (254 West 54th Street, between Broadway & 8th Avenue) on Monday, August 26 at 7pm. Click here for tickets!
1. This August you are returning to Feinstein's/54 Below with your solo concert De México To Broadway. What made now the right time to return to Feinstein's/54 Below? I think it’s very important to celebrate accomplishments in life. I had a lot of things happening this past year, both personally and professionally. So much, in fact, I have barely had any time to reflect.
Coming back to Feinstein’s/54 Below is a good way to look back and remember how I got to where I am today and focus on where I’m going next. Plus I get to do it through music which is always a good combination.
2. In De México To Broadway you take the audience on a musical journey of your life & multifaceted career. Let's start with who or what inspired you to become a performer? Growing up my mom used to play me move musicals like Grease. When I saw John Travolta for the first time I wanted to be him. I didn’t know that most of these movies came from the theatre. It wasn’t until I was in my teenage years that I discovered what Broadway was. I fell in love with it ever since.
3. When you look back over your life/career, what two events make you smile the most? The night I made my Broadway debut. It was two summers ago. In the summer of 2017. My mom was here from Mexico, my sister flew from Spain. It was a magical and unforgettable night.
Performing at the Kennedy Honors for Gloria in an audience with Meryl Streep, Stevie Wonder and Julie Andrews was definitely a highlight, too.
4. What is one thing you wish you could do over/change? I believe everything happens for a reason so I wouldn’t change anything about the past. I am who I am today because of everything that I’ve been through.
5. You also talk about your “love affair” with New York. What are your top three favorite things to do in NYC? I love running in Central Park early in the mornings or late in the afternoon. I love going to the theatre, it’s one of my all-time favorite things to do in the city. And I have a fascination for discovering Mexican restaurants to try and find the best Mexican cuisine possible.
6. At this concert, Alysha Umphress will be your special guest. How did you come to know each other and what made you want to have her perform at your upcoming concert? Unfortunately due to a scheduling conflict she’s not going to be a part of my concert but I have another Broadway star confirmed. This is very exciting to me and I am honored to have her as my guest.
7. You made your Broadway debut as well as starred in the 1st National Tour of Gloria & Emilio Estefan's musical On Your Feet as Emilio Estefan. When you got the call you had been cast as Emilio, what was the first thing you said after you hung up the phone? Oh my God I’m going to Broadway!
8. Did you get to meet the real-life Emilio Estefan? If so, what can you share with us about that meeting and what advice did he give you? I have had the wonderful privilege of becoming very close to both Gloria and Emilio. They became more than friends, family. Getting to portray Emilio has been a blessing. But getting to know him on a more personal manner has been an inspiration; the man is an icon but still manages to be one of the humblest people I’ve ever met.
9. In addition to theatre, you are currently in NBC Universo’s El Vato on Netflix & have recorded 2 Latin Pop albums. What else do you still hope to accomplish in your career? I’ve been lucky enough to venture into different areas of entertainment such as film, TV, concerts, recording and theatre. There’s several other areas such as directing and producing that I’m definitely interested in exploring in the near future. As long as it’s creative, signed me up!
10. Finally, let's have some fun with the title of your show De México To Broadway. If you were to drive from Mexico to New York City, what artists would you be listening to along the way? Barbra Streisand, Luis Miguel, Michael Jackson and Selena.
More on Mauricio:
Mauricio Martinez made is Broadway debut as Emilio Estefan and headlined the 1st National Tour of On Your Feet! for a year. He is known to Television audiences for his current role on NBC Universo’s El Vato on Netflix.
This bold crossover talent is a household name in Mexico & Latin America has starred as the leading man in the Mexican productions of the Broadway musicals Beauty & The Beast, Saturday Night Fever, Jesus Christ Superstar, The Drowsy Chaperone, Sweet Charity, The Last 5 Years, and in plays like A View From The Bridge and more. He also recorded two Latin Pop albums, which are are available in iTunes & Spotify worldwide.