Call Answered: Alexis Michelle: "RuPaul's Drag Race", DragCon, & "Alexis Michelle Sings Judy Garland" at Club Cumming
From drag to Judy, Alexis Michelle is doing it all! Alexis is known for being a contestant on Season 9 of RuPaul’s Drag Race and TLC’s hit wedding makeover reality special, Drag Me Down the Aisle. On RuPaul’s Drag Race Alexis received praise for her spot on impression of Liza Minelli in Snatch Game and acclaim for her portrayal of Kris Jenner in Kardashian the Musical.
After a sold-out concert during World Pride, Alexis is returning to Club Cumming with her concert Alexis Michelle Sings Judy Garland. Through songs that Judy made iconic, Alexis honors the memory of the starlet that became the World’s Greatest Entertainer. Far from impersonation, Alexis’s one of a kind tribute to Judy Garland runs one night only.
Alexis Michelle Sings Judy Garland will be at Club Cumming (505 East 6th Street) this Friday, September 6 at 9:00pm. Click here for tickets!
1. You are gearing up for two big events this week, DragCon and your Club Cumming concert Alexis Michelle Sings Judy Garland. Let's start with DragCon. What are you looking forward to most about DragCon? I always enjoy connecting with the people at DragCon, and especially seeing all the young people expressing themselves is awesome! I’m super excited to be recreating some ultra iconic Judy looks from her career. I’ll also be moderating a Disney on Broadway panel with Nina West!
2. What is the best advice RuPaul gave you that you have carried with you? It wasn’t to me specifically, but one of mama’s old sayings is “Know thyself and deliver at all times.” I think it’s about knowing what you specifically can offer and making sure you’re always able to give it your best. I try to take pride in what I do always, and I think RuPaul leads that way too.
3. How do you feel this show has helped your career? It’s opened so many doors and has brought me so many opportunities. But the biggest gift it’s given me is that I’m exclusively pursuing my career as a performer. It’s the first time in my life I’ve only had one job!
4. Now, let's chat Alexis Michelle Sings Judy Garland. What is it about Judy Garland that made you want to create a show celebrating her music? There’s a short list of voices that cut right to the core of my being. That I feel in my bones and my soul. Freddie Mercury, Leontyne Price, Barbra Streisand and most certainly Judy Garland. It’s like she spilled her guts every time she sang and that’s why people can relate to her emotional performances.
5. Judy's music has been celebrated for years. How are you making her music your own? Rehearsing this show has actually been a reminder to me how much Judy’s influence has always been there for me. As a young boy interested in being on stage, her voice always resonated with me. I have a dramatic vibrato similar to Judy’s and actually her keys work really well for me, just an octave apart. Haha!
6. Out of all the cabaret spaces in the city, what attracted you to Club Cumming? I’d been looking for a space with a distinctly downtown vibe, something different than the elegant polish of Feinstein’s/54 Below, where I also love to perform. The first time I walked into Club Cumming I thought, “Oh! This is what I’ve been looking for.” It feels a bit like old New York, or like Berlin even...I love it! We had two amazing sold out shows during World Pride and I can’t wait to return to the Club Cumming stage.
7. Lastly, if you could sing a duet with Judy Garland, what song of hers would you like to sing with her? It’s probably an obvious choice, but I’d sing “Happy Days Are Here Again” to Judy’s “Get Happy.” I have always found that moment when Judy and Barbra came together on television deeply fascinating. Judy was undoubtedly the most popular singer in the world for many years during her career and Barbra Streisand quickly emerged as the next female vocalist to take that position. I see this iconic duet as a passing of the baton; from the greatest to the new greatest.
More on Alexis:
Alexis Michelle is a native New Yorker who has yet to do jury duty. NYC’s premiere theatrical queen; Alexis was recently seen on TLC’s hit wedding makeover reality special, Drag Me Down the Aisle. Before that, Alexis was one of the last queens left standing on Season 9 of RuPaul’s Drag Race. On the show, Alexis received praise for her spot on impression of Liza Minelli in Snatch Game and acclaim for her portrayal of Kris Jenner in Kardashian the Musical. Since RPDR, Alexis has toured the country and played venues around the world. Alexis got her training in the University of Michigan's musical theatre program. In the spring of 2017, Alexis premiered her debut cabaret act It Takes a Woman at Feinstein’s/54 Below. When she's not on stage performing shows at clubs and bars across the country you'll probably find her in the garment district of NYC buying fabric and wholesale jewelry.