Call Answered: PEPPERMINT: "RuPaul's Drag Race", World Pride 2019, "Head Over Heels"
From being the first out trans competitor on RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 9 to her trailblazing performance in Broadway’s Head Over Heels to her upcoming World Pride concert, I am thrilled to have the opportunity to speak with PEPPERMINT.
PEPPERMINT will be celebrating World Pride 2019 with her concert I, Candy, featuring her longtime collaborator Cazwell. I, Candy will be at the Gramercy Theater on Friday, June 28 at 7pm. Click here for tickets!
1. This June you are performing for one-night only at The Gramercy Theatre, kicking off Gay Pride Week. What excites you about this upcoming concert in celebration of Gay Pride Week? I'm so excited for all the parties, all the people, it's going to be so Electric!
2. What can fans expect from this concert that they might not see if you were performing at another time during the year? I'm in the middle of writing a new album and so I'm going to be previewing some of the new material that night. Otherwise, my schedule is taking me on the road all over the place. I haven't had the opportunity to perform in New York and in YEARS not on this level. It's going to have everything - hot backup dancers, a live band, and even my bestie Cazwell!
3. Your longtime collaborator, Cazwell, will be joining you for this one-night only event. How did you and Cazwell first come to work together? We met many years ago when he was a guest performer at the Tunnel Nightclub where I worked. He borrowed my backup dancers one night. He killed it that night and we were physically married ever since.
4. What makes your collaboration work so well? I don't know, we just get each other. Our relationship is not a lot of hard work. We are both into Hip Hop, Fried Chicken and zombies. He's the perfect companion.
5. Let's play with the title of the concert I, Candy, for a moment. What celebrities would you say are your eye candy? Jason Momoa, Jason Momoa and Jason Momoa.
6. You were the runner-up on Season 9 of RuPaul's Drag Race. What initially made you want to be on the show? At first I didn't, I was minding my own business traveling the world feeling like an absolute Superstar. But eventually I realized it was an undeniable Juggernaut of a success so if you can't beat them join them!
7. What was the best advice RuPaul gave you that you have carried with you? "No one can ever tell you who you are."
8. In addition to being the first out-trans woman competitor on RuPaul's Drag Race, this past Broadway Season you were also the first transgender woman to create a principal role in a Broadway show, the show being Head Over Heels.
What is it like to be such a trailblazer? It was all a dream come true. I quickly realized it was so much bigger than me. It was important for me to do the community proud, and hopefully I did.
Were you nervous about taking these steps? I was nervous initially but mostly about the rehearsal process and being able to breathe life into the character. I wasn't as much worried about getting on stage. I've done that a lot.
How did taking these steps change you? I am now a part of such a wonderful long-standing community of artists, creative people, and performers. The Broadway community is so close-knit and unlike anything else.
9. In looking back at your run in Head Over Heels, what can you share with us about your experience - from the good to the bad to everything in between? My favorite memory is lip syncing with the cast in my dressing room. My least favorite memory is the Christmas season. I had a horrible breakup with someone I love very much and on top of that we had to perform nine shows in five days, I didn't even know that was mathematically possible. Believe me I talk about that in my show.
10. Rapid Fire Questions:
Favorite color M&M? The light brown one. I don't even think they make that one any more.
Favorite go to Emoji when texting? The bomb 💣
More on PEPPERMINT:
PEPPERMINT made her Broadway debut this season in in the acclaimed musical Head Over Heels and became the first transgender woman to create a principal role on Broadway. Fans know her from Season 9 of RuPaul's Drag Race. An established entertainer and recording artist, she regularly performs to sold-out crowds around the world. Albums include Hardcore Glamour, Servin' It Up, Sugar & Spiked and Black Pepper available on iTunes and Google Play.