Call Redialed: Shane Shane: "Tonight's Special with Shane Shane" at The Duplex
It's so great to catch up with Shane Shane to talk about the return of his hilarious variety show Tonight's Special with Shane Shane which will be making it's return on April 8. This a la carte variety show delivers one hour of hilarity ordered by the audience from an "artisanal, seasonal menu" of jokes, stories, songs, and video; not to mention surprise, special guests!
We had lots of fun getting deeper inside the creation of this show! With Shane, you never know what you are going get, except a ton of laughs!
Tonight's Special with Shane Shane will play at the legendary Duplex on Sunday, April 8 at 9:30pm. Click here for tickets!
1. This April you are bringing back your show, Tonight's Special with Shane Shane, but this time you will be performing it at The Duplex. What made now the right time to bring this show back? Spring, gurl! Flowers blooming, snow melting, and a new day dawning. I've also got a bunch of new characters I've developed on my UCB Characters Welcome team that I'm eager to bring to a new audience.
2. What are you looking forward to most about performing at the Duplex? I'm most looking forward to having a captive audience that paid to be there to see me. I have spent my whole life playing venues where I've had to fight for attention against people who are at a bar to hook up, get drunk, or otherwise not watch me. It's given me good stage skills but I'm ready for a CAPTIVE audience. Also that weird painting of Barbra Streisand that hangs in the cabaret is enough of a reason to go.
This show is a la carte variety show that delivers one hour of hilarity ordered by the audience from an "artisanal, seasonal menu" of jokes, stories, songs, and video; not to mention surprise, special guests! Since we covered a lot of the basics in our last interview, I'm going to place some orders for the next few questions...
3. What is the funniest joke told during one of your shows? What is the least funny joke told? Well gurl I would NEVER give away which jokes to request! That's the fun -- the audience has to figure out for themselves what they want to hear. And then they have to decide for themselves whether they like what they get.
4. What has been the most awkward moment to happen during a show? Awkwardness is fleeting. Glamor is forever. I live in the glamor.
5. What is your favorite song to perform? I mean I've done it a bazillion times but I love singing my 60's pastiche ode to compromise in relationships, "Dairy Queen." I actually just got back from LA where I saw the person I wrote that song about for the first time in about eight years, so maybe there will be added emotion when I perform it this time around...if the audience asks for it.
6. Who do you think makes the best music videos? HANDS DOWN that would be SSION. They've consistently made the best music videos for the last 10 years. And in their latest video, At Least The Sky Is Blue you get to see my friend Aram's butt which is a big ol' bonus!
7. Since the show is called Tonight's Special with Shane Shane, how do you make a night special? I don't make the night special! The audience does by deciding what they'd like to see me do!
8. In a video promo for the show on your Facebook page, you have various images of cooked chicken's flashing across the screen. What is your favorite kind of chicken to eat? Any chicken is good chicken, but I'm particularly partial to a Costco rotisserie eaten with your hands in a car.
9. When you go out on a date, what is one thing you order your date to do? I was a waitress for 10 years, so proper restaurant etiquette is mandatory to be my boyfriend. You will be polite, you will not waste the server's time, and you will tip 20% unless the server was actively abusive. Them's the rules and luckily my boyfriend happily obliges.
More on Shane Shane:
Shane O'Neill is a writer, performer, and video-maker. He and his work have appeared at Joe's Pub, The New York Times, The Huffington Post, Refinery29, ArtNews New York, and at too many gay bars and DIY queer venues to mention here. He has performed extensively in the US and Europe with his Shane Shane music project. His one-man variety show Tonight's Special occurs the first Tuesday of every month at Sid Gold's Request Room. He has a cat named Wanda, a boyfriend named Dusty, and a wonderful family--both chosen and by blood--all of whom he loves a great deal.