Call Answered: Jasper Cole: "Hollywood's Bad Guy," Comic-Con International: San Diego
From such films as 18 Again, Friday the 13th Part VIII, and MacGruber (alongside Val Kilmer & Ryan Phillipe) & TV shows as C.S.I., Married With Children, Saved By The Bell, Touched by An Angel, Party Of Five, & Baywatch, Jasper Cole's face is known to millions! I'm so excited I got a chance to chat with this "Hollywood Bad Guy."
Jasper will be appearing at Comic-Con International: San Diego this weekend (July 21 & 22). Click here for more info!
Keep your eyes on the big screen to catch Jasper in one of his many upcoming films: Savage Sistas, Spirits, Awaken The Shadowman.
1. Who or what inspired you to become an actor? I was inspired as a kid when I saw the film THE WIZARD OF OZ and then a few years later I saw a stage production of it and I was hooked on theatre. That's where I started, was on stage, in Atlanta, Ga at The Alliance Theatre and I co-wrote and co-starred in a play WILLOW SPRINGS NOW that ended up opening in LA in 1987 and it ran for awhile and I was able to get an agent and manager and began my career. I continued to do theatre while I slowly learned about TV and Film but I always returned to the stage. A FEW GOOD MEN, THE NORMAL HEART, BOYS IN THE BAND, FOOL FOR LOVE are just a few of my favorite plays I was in.
2. This weekend you are appearing at Comic-Con International: San Diego. What are you looking forward to most about this event? I'm so grateful each time I'm asked to attend because I never take for granted how lucky I've been to still be working over 30 years now as an actor. I get to see so many colleagues whose work I admire and also people I've gotten to know at Comic Con and other conventions over the years. Just to have ONE FAN is still mind blowing to me so needless to say the best part is meeting new fans and seeing ones I've known for years and the ones that are loyal and wonderful.
3. What do you love about meeting your fans at these events? They are so passionate about the shows and actors they like and they go all out with costumes and they come from all over the world to attend. It's really quite an overwhelming event and it gets bigger every year.
4. What's the most flattering thing a fan has done for you at Comic-Con? There have been so many great gifts from fans but one of the best was a few years ago a little boy who was born with Cerebral Palsy brought me pictures of some of my action roles and asked me to sign them because he said that I inspired him to be strong and he knew that anti-bullying is my main platform. He said that if I had been bullied and survived so could he. It really floored me because here was this amazing little boy in a wheelchair telling me that watching me on TV gave him hope....I often say what I do isn't brain surgery and it's not but at least it can touch people in different ways.
5. What's the strangest thing to happen to you at one of these events? My first Comic Con in San Diego a couple came up and were very flattering and seemed to know me and my career and looked through my pics but seemed perplexed. The wife said.."Why don't you have any pictures from your "movies" we like?" She did the air quotes on movies and I said what do you mean and she said "Aren't you a PORN STAR from the 80s?" LMAO talk about being humbled...I said, "Couldn't you at least have said the 90s?"
6. How did you get the title of "Hollywood 'bad guy'"? It's hilarious to me because people who really know me know that I'm nothing like most of the characters I play. I am so grateful to get on this list of "bad guy" roles, "Homeless," "Creepy," "Druggies," etc. It took me years to be type cast and I love it. The press started using that description and it just kind of stuck, but trust me, there's a whole group of brilliant character actors who are on this list with me and they are all HOLLYWOOD BAD GUYS too!
7. What's the "baddest" thing you've done in your life? Well now, if I told you, I'd have to kill you, right?
8. You have so many films coming out soon: Savage Sistas, Spirits, Awaken The Shadowman, plus several that were recently released, The Purge: Anarchy, Captured, & Model Home. How do you keep up/stay healthy with such a demanding schedule? I pride myself on trying to eat clean and work out regularly. Nothing too strict, just moderation, but truthfully when you are doing what you love and getting paid to do it, there's nothing better. I also have a blessed home life and family so that means more to me than anything.
9. Do you have any fun behind-the-scene stories you can share with us from any of your films? Wow, so many over 30 years, but I have had several mishaps on shoots...Once, while shooting a commercial playing a pirate with the Macaw named CHIP from the PIRATES OF PENZANCE films, he bit me in the eye during a take and I thought I'd lost me eye, but the show went on. I have tumbled down hills doing my own stunts, injured my back and legs and arms etc, doing stunts and ended up having back surgery two years ago, so no more of that...I now ask for a stunt double!
10. What do you still want to accomplish that you haven't? I really want to do a great play in NYC...I've been so blessed to do theatre all over EXCEPT in NYC. I'm putting it out there now. Broadway, Off-Broadway Off-Off-Broadway, it's on my bucket list. On TV, I'd love to be a regular\part of a great one hour drama ensemble. I'd also like to continue to do my podcast ONE ON ONE WITH JASPER COLE and expand that into other mediums as well especially satellite radio.
More on Jasper:
As a veteran character actor with over a 100 TV/film credits, Jasper Cole continues his villainous streak having just co-starred in the box office smash hit film, The Purge: Anarchy as a “Homeless Man” produced by Michael Bay and Jason Blum, Captured, as “Shelly” starring Brittany Curan and Kristin Prout and Model Home as “Walker” opposite Emmy winner Kathy Baker and Monique Gabriella Curnen.
He will soon be seen in the lead role of “Bad Cop” in the horror/thriller Savage Sistas and as “Dark Butler” in the film Spirits opposite Mindy Robinson and Lynn Lowry as well as “Peter” in Awaken The Shadowman starring Jean Smart and co-starred opposite Tatyana Ali as “Homeless Man” in the TV film Second Sight. He was seen in the third season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine as “The Oolong Slayer” opposite Andy Samberg and Andre Baugher.
More recently, he played “Jacques De Leon” AKA “Jacques The Ripper” in the CBS series Training Day opposite the late Bill Paxton. He stars in the film THE COLLECTOR playing lead role of "Moloch” and he appears in Ryan Murphys AMERICAN HORROR STORY:CULT as a “Shaggy Thug.” Jasper also co-starred in the 2013 hit horror film, Hansel & Gretel as “John,” iconic actress, Dee Wallace’s son. Jasper has appeared in dozens of theatrical productions and national TV commercials and has Guest Starred on some of television’s top shows, including, C.S.I., Married With Children, Saved By The Bell, Touched by An Angel, Party Of Five, La Femme Nakita, Tales From The Crypt, Baywatch, Pacific Blue and Clueless. Jasper has obtained critical acclaim for his work on Michael Eisner’s Emmy Nominated series, Prom Queen, his unforgettable stint on Everybody Hates Chris and his recurring role on the ABC series, The Forgotten, starring, Christian Slater.
He recently guest starred on HBO’s hit series Funny Or Die Presents and appeared regularly in various comedy sketches for The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Film and THe recently guest starred on HBO’s hit series Funny Or Die Presents and appeared regularly in various comedy sketches for The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Film and TV audiences can also see Jasper as “Reno”, the bad cowboy, in the new Showdown at Seven commercial for the popular movie website, Fandango and he appeared in the popular National Direct TV commercials opposite Rob Lowe. You can see him worldwide as a Pirate in the 1-800-Contacts commercials as well. Nickelodeon fans remember Jasper as “Oswald” in the final season of Nickelodeon’s hit series Victorious and several episodes of the hit syndicated series, Outlaw Empires.
Once established as Hollywood’s “bad guy,” it was a matter of time before Jasper graced the big screen. He has appeared in multiple films such as 18 Again, Alien Nation, Get Your Stuff, Friday the 13th Part VIII, and Urban Assault-TKO. Jasper flaunted his sinister side and became an International sensation as Val Kilmer’s sidekick, "Zeke Pleshette” in the blockbuster MacGruber alongside Ryan Phillipe, Kristin Wiig and Will Forte. The film is gaining cult status on DVD and TV. Jasper is also the host of the nationally syndicated radio/TV talkshow: One On One With Jasper Cole available on iTunes, Stitcher, Spreaker and UBNradiotv.com.