Call Answered: Eliana Alexander: "Perpetual Grace LTD", "Tilt" an adventure/sci-fi novel series
Eliana Alexander is an award-winning actor (ALMA & NYIIFVF), novelist, screenwriter and choreographer. She has been immersed in the entertainment world, in front of and behind the camera, for over 30 years.
Eliana is getting ready for two big debuts this summer. The first is the new EPIX series Perpetual Grace LTD, premiering June 2. The second is her adventure/sci-fi novel series, TILT, which releases the first book August 8.
1. Who or what inspired you to become an actress/writer? There isn’t something or someone who inspired me. It’s as if the universe opened the doors. I started out as a singer in a band at the age of 16. After touring Japan I was asked to be in a musical that opened the door to TV and films. A producer who saw me in A Musical Extravaganza asked me if I wanted to be in a commercial. It was for a German ice cream and they needed dancers who could sing. I was thrilled to be on set and I knew that I wanted more. I started training as an actress with Al Valletta and later Cherie Franklin. I took commercial workshops and made sure I was on point. The love of the art is what continued to inspire me.
2. What do you get from acting that you don't get from writing? And vice versa? As an actor I get to breathe life into the words from the pages of a script. I get to develop the characters based off of the words on the page. That is a huge thrill.
As a writer I get to create characters and stories. I get to see them in my imagination first then onto the page. I love doing both and I am blessed that I can keep acting and writing.
3. This June you are part of the new series Perpetual Grace LTD on EPIX. What made you want to be part of this show? Wanting to work with Steven Conrad the writer and creator on this modern noir project was a big part of it. In addition, I knew I was going to get to work with the legendary Sir Ben Kingsley. I am incredibly grateful for the style of this show for it is absolutely amazing. I know audiences with be blown away.
4. What do you relate to most about your character Marisol Contreras? I relate to Marisol in the fact that she values her family. She is strong and will protect her family at all cost.
5. What is one characteristic of hers you are glad you yourself do no possess? One characteristic Marisol has that I do not is that she knows that her husband Hector played by (Luis Guzman) is up to something and yet doesn’t point blank ask him.
I personally would get into communication with my husband immediately and find out what is going on. Marisol is dealing with situations as they come along. She is guided by what happens because of what Hector is getting involved in.
6. You have been acting in both Latin and English entertainment markets for over 30 years. What has been the biggest change you've had to adapt to over the last three decades? I don’t think in terms of having to adapt over the years as my journey unfolds, it’s more that I have been in action in changing what I don’t want to settle for. I have come into my own more.
When I first started is when I did a lot more adapting. Such as I colored my hair darker in order to come across as a Latina because I am very light skinned and I have light hair. Now I change for the role instead of having to change to be seen for any role. I have seen a lot of changes and finally we are being seen in a more professional light.
7. In addition to this new series, you are also getting to release your adventure/sci-fi novel series called Tilt, about two teens who travel through an inter-dimensional time vortex, learning about the multiverse and themselves in the process. How did you come up with the idea for this series? I have always wanted to time travel. What if I could go into different eras and see how they lived? That is what inspired me to create this story. I wanted it to be unique so I created something different for how Blane and Jake set off a vortex not only into eras but into other dimensions and worlds. I wanted to have facts intertwined into the fiction so that through this journey my readers can discover facts through this story.
8. How many novels will this series comprise of? Right now Tilt has two-installments TILT: Magic Ei8hts and TILT: The Red Moon. Who knows the way my mind works—there just might be a third.
9. What do you hope readers get from reading the Tilt series? I am in great hopes that they lose themselves into their imagination and that they go into another place. I would love for them to connect with the characters and root for them as they travel throughout this journey. Also from the worlds and dimensions the characters visit to see how our world is affected by how we live.
In TILT, the characters learn a lot about the planet and themselves and really evolve. I am hoping that the readers also experience a sense of evolvement on their own.
10. What do you still hope to accomplish that you haven't been able to yet? There are a lot of things I would like to do that I have not yet accomplished. One is to travel more. Maybe take an RV across the US, take trains through Europe spending quality time in each country. Maybe even sail from California to Hawaii. Hopefully soon, so I can enjoy it all while my body and age allow me to!
More on Eliana:
Award-winning actor (ALMA & NYIIFVF), novelist, screenwriter and choreographer Eliana Alexander has been immersed in the entertainment world for over 30 years in front of and behind the camera. Eliana earned an Imagen Award nomination for Best Actress in TV for her role in Sin Verguenza and was part of the ALMA Award-winning ensemble in Foto Novelas, the Imagen Award-winning series Sin Verguenza as well as the ALMA Award nominated ensembles The Elian Gonzales Story and My Father’s Love. Eliana won the NYIIFVF Best Actress Award for Agenda. She choreographed the Imagen Award-winning musical Paquito’s Christmas that performed at the Lincoln Center in Washington, D.C. Her role in My Network TV’s Desire received rave reviews. She wrote, produced and directed the television pilot series Next Page as well as wrote, produced and starred in the pilot series Hold The Line.
Eliana is the founding member of Kids Dance LA where several scholarships have been awarded to inner city kids. She proudly co-founded LA Danceforce and Edge PAC in Hollywood. With Eliana at the helm, all three entities became world renowned for training top-notch dancers and choreographers. Eliana is honored to have directed and choreographed numerous theater productions, award-winning dance competitions and dance videos. Eliana was the featured recording artist on the soundtrack for the musical DAWGS composed by Richard and Robert Sherman of Disney fame. Her diverse talents enable her to enrich every project of which she is a part.