When you hear someone like Aliyah Moulden sing, you are immediately entranced! Watching her on Season 12 of The Voice was a nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat moment. But how exciting to see her make it into the final Top 3, becoming the youngest contestant ever to secure a spot in the Top 3!
What a joy to talk with this rising star! From getting the inside scoop about her time on The Voice to working with Blake Shelton to landing a leading role in Netflix's upcoming film Anastasia: Once Upon Time, Aliyah and I discuss it all!
1. Who or what inspired you to become a performer? When I was five years old I watched Rhianna performing on MTV. I thought to myself, "I want to do that." Rhianna totally became my ideal artist.
2. You just completed a run on NBC's The Voice, being the YOUNGEST contestant ever to secure a spot in the Top 3. What was that experience like for you? What was the best part about being on the show and what was the most challenging part? I did become the YOUNGEST contestant to ever secure a spot in the Top 3. The best part was performing on The Voice stage. It was an awesome experience. The most challenging part of the show was preparing a performance in such a short period of time. I wanted to do my best every time, and it was so very stressful.
3. What was it like having Blake Shelton as your coach? What is one piece of advice he gave you that you took with you? Blake Shelton was the most amazing coach to me. He helped me as much as he could. He was very caring towards me. He was like a father role model to me. He advised me to be aware of the audience, and to perform songs that were appealing to them.
4. At just 15 years old, you have gotten lots of attention from your time on The Voice. How do you handle this change? I am 15 years old. I never imagined that I would get that far in the show. I thank all the people who supported me during my time on The Voice. I hope that the attention from The Voice puts me on the path for me to getting closer to my dream of becoming an artist.
5. You just recorded your first EP, which features the song, "We Own The World." If you could own the world, what would you do with it? I would love to contribute to make this a better world. I hope that in the future I am able to help children in poverty and to work on getting rid of cancer.
6. In addition to music, you are also concentrating on your acting roles. What do you get from acting that you don't get from singing? I love acting. It provides me with the opportunity to get into the people’s homes, and to share precious moments.
7. One exciting role you just booked is on Netflix's Anastasia: Once Upon a Time where you play an ’80s pop star, who encounters the young "Anastasia"(played by Emily Carey), when "Anastasia" emerges through the time portal. What made you want to be part of this film? What do you identify most with your character? What is one characteristic of your character you are glad you don't possess yourself? I wanted to be a part of this film to have the opportunity to work with such talented and promiment actors, writers, and music producers. I identify most with the character as she is a pop singer. I love to sing myself. The only thing characteristic that I am glad I don’t posess is that I do love my present time. The ‘80s is a wonderful time, but this to me is the best time.
8. In addition to starring in this family comedy, you will write and perform several original songs for the film. How did you get to score such a high honor to not only star in the show but to get to write & perform several songs? I can only thank the producers of the movie for such high honor. I am so thankful to the producers Armando Gutierrez, Eli Lipnik, Peter Lees, Bret Jone, and Blake Harris, for taking the time and writting a part just for me. I am grateful for them to think so highly of me. I am so happy that they believe in me to write, and perfom several songs in the film.
9. From all this success you are having, what is something you feel you've learned about yourself throughout this process? What is something about yourself you are worried about losing? I am thankful for the success I am having. I have learned that I have to work really hard and to stay focused to achieve my goals. I am worried about loosing some part of my private life.
10. I have a new part to my interviews called "I Can See Clearly Now." We all know the internet can write things about us that sometimes aren't true. So, what is something you want to clear the air about yourself that you feel is getting out there about you that is simply not true? I would like to clear up about myself that I do not have a boyfriend at this time.
11. I also have a section on my website called "One Percent Better" where through my own fitness regime, I encourage people to improve their life by one percent better everyday. What is something about yourself that you want to improve by 1% better everyday? I would like to work out more, & back to my fitness regiment to improve my life.
Aliyah Moulden is a super-vocalist powerhouse and triple threat performer, who leaves audiences spellbound just at the age of 15. Savvy musicians compare this young artist to legends such as Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston and Adele. Aliyah just completed a stint as a contestant on The Voice 2017, achieving the top 3 status on one of the top rated music shows on NBC. During her time on the show, she worked with the award winning artist and country singer, Blake Shelton, as her personal coach. She credits Blake for giving her an incredible advantage as a performer. Other career highlights include opening for Beyoncé protégés Chole X Hale, preforming at BET Experience LA Live in 2016, opened for the cast of Disney’s Channel’s Shake It Up, after party opener for platinum singer Jesse McCarney, did a National summer tour with Michael Deleasa, with continuous collaborations with Alessia Cara, Miley Cyrus, Alicia Keys, Gwen Stefani, Zedd, Adam Levine, Jennifer Hudson and much more. She is proud of the completion of her first EP which features the song "We Own the World" written by Multi-Platinum producer Drew Lane (Hannah Montana and High School Musical). She was also a part of the National Official Stand Up Tour 2015, conducted by Peggy Lafrate Senior Director of Sales at Teen Life and President at Strega Entertainment Group. Ms. Lafrate was previously Radio Disney’s Northeastern regional manager. As an ambassador for the tour, Aliyah recorded the theme song for the Tour with American Idol Finalists Robbie Rosenlive, in collaboration with up and coming band The House on Cliff, and other artists. In the acting world, she just booked a lead role in Netflix original film Anastasia: Once Upon A Time.