I am big fan of young actresses! They are our next generation of talent! When Hailey Sole was presented to me to interview, I jumped at this opportunity. This young starlet already has a resume of hit shows under her belt Criminal Minds, Private Practice, The Middle, and Parks and Recreation. What makes me even more excited about Hailey is that she is starring on the new Netflix series Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp, which will be debuting on Netflix on July 31! She is in great company as you'll see below! So, sit back, relax, and get to know Hailey Sole!
1. Who or what inspired you to become an actress? When I was really little I would have my friends come over, and all I wanted to do was preform or do skits. Eventually my parents realized that I really liked acting and decided to put me in an acting workshop in Texas, where I am originally from. A couple of agencies were there and they liked me so they called me out to California. During that first visit to California, I was sent out on an audition by one of the agencies. I ended up booking my first audition, which turned out to be a recurring role for three seasons on a show called Private Practice. I loved working on the show, and I’ve been in acting ever since.
2. Your latest role is starring in Netflix's newest series Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp alongside Amy Poehler, Jon Hamm, Kristen Wiig, David Hyde Pierce, Bradley Cooper, Molly Shannon, 'Weird Al' Yankovic, Janeane Garofalo, Jason Schwartzman, Paul Rudd, Christopher Meloni, Michael Ian Black, Elizabeth Banks, Chris Pine, and my friend John Early. It's one big name after another! What did you learn from working beside such an A list group of actors? One big thing I learned from working with all these amazing actors was to have fun, don’t hold back when acting, and give it your all. I learned not to worry about other people’s opinions, and to be proud of what I do. No matter what, you should play your role the best you can, and have fun with it as well.
3. Aside from this extraordinary cast, what made you want to be part of this series? One thing is, I love Netflix, and secondly, I haven’t really done much comedy in my acting career. So I thought this would be a great chance to really stretch my acting abilities, and learn from the best! I’m always up for trying new things, so doing this show was definitely a great opportunity to do just that.
4. What do you identify most with about your character "Amy"? I identify most with the character "Amy" in how she acts towards other people. "Amy" tries to be friends with everyone, and I try to do that in my personal life as well.
5. You have already been on several network TV shows. Do you feel the filming process was different for Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp compared to the network shows you were on? The filming process for WHAS was a bit different than other shows I’ve been on. For starters, since this is a crazy comedy film, there was a lot more improve than what you would see in a show like Criminal Minds, where we stuck to the script pretty tightly. Secondly, we shot the entire series for WHAS completely outdoors, which I’ve never done that before on any other show.
6. Some of the network shows you've been on were Criminal Minds, Private Practice, and Ghost Whisperer: The Other Side. What did you enjoy most about being on these shows? I enjoy being able to try new things and push the boundaries of my acting a little more every time. Each job you work on is a learning experience, and to be able to work on each show is a blessing. I’m so happy I’ve had that opportunity.
7. In addition to your acting career, you are also a full time student in school. How do you balance the two and still be an honor student? What is it like to be a working actress going to school? Balancing school, acting and other things I like to do like cheer and musicals can be demanding, but it requires a lot of coordinating and time management. I definitely wouldn’t be able to do all that I do, and maintain the grades that I have, if it wasn’t for all those around me who support me, and contribute to making this all happen, like my agent, manager, teachers, parents, coaches, and friends.
8. In your free time, you enjoy sining with your friends. Do you have aspirations to take that singing to a higher level and come to Broadway or record an album? What do you love about singing that you don't get from acting? I haven’t really thought of singing as a career, but just as a way for me to express myself. Although, I do enjoy being in my schools musicals and being on Broadway would be an amazing dream come true. I guess for now I’ll just keep a singing career on the back burner for the future.
9. What's the best advice you've ever received? The best advice I have ever received was being told to believe in myself and stick with acting. There was one time in my career where I didn’t book any auditions for an entire year, and it was really getting upsetting. My manager called me one day and told me that everyone goes through this but the most important thing to do is to stick with acting, because your time will come. Just don’t give up on yourself and push through because hard work pays off. And the next year, I started booking more auditions again.
10. If you could have any super power, which one would you choose? I know it sounds cliché but I would probably choose to be able to fly. I just think that being able to fly would be so cool because I could go anywhere super fast and I wouldn’t have to wait in traffic, which would be great!!
Hailey Sole is a phenomenal young American actress from the hit TV series Criminal Minds, where she portrayed "Meg Callahan." Currently, this young starlet will be starring as "Amy" in the upcoming anticipated Netflix series Wet Hot American Summer: First Day Of Camp. Hailing from Dallas Texas, she caught the acting bug at the tender age of four. Her first role was on the hit TV show Private Practice, where she appeared as "Betsey Parker" and was nominated for the "Young Artist Award" for her role. Hailey definitely knows how to balance her busy schedule as she attends school full time, competes in cheerleading, and acts in several successful TV series. Her credits include Private Practice (2008), The Middle (2011), Harry’s Law (2012), Parks And Recreation (2012), Franklin & Bash (2013), Criminal Minds (2014), and Wet Hot American Summer: First Day Of Camp (2015). In school, Hailey is an Honor Award Member of the California Junior Scholarship Federation, which fosters high standards of scholarship, service and citizenship. She is also studying two languages; Mandarian and Spanish. Talk about brains and beauty! However, it’s not all about work with Hailey. She also knows how to have fun. On her free time, she loves singing and spending time with her friends. Whether it is singing in musicals or singing with her friends, she tries to find time to incorporate her love for music into her life.
Hailey is also heavily involved in several charity organizations, such as "Habitat for Humanity," "Helping All Transients," "Operation Progress," and "Ahead with Horses." With the help of her parents, Hailey is planning to launch her own organization to help teach Elementary and Middle School children age-specific communication skills, and conflict resolution skills, to promote kindness, and to minimize future bullying.