"Call Me Adam" chats with rising actress Crystal Kellogg about starring in the 2014 NYMF production of Jacey Powers, Dan Wolpow and Adam Spiegel's Cloned! from July 7-15 at The Alice Griffin Jewel Box Theatre in NYC (480 West 42nd Street). Click here for tickets!
1. From July 7-15 you will starring in the NYMF production of Jacey Powers, Dan Wolpow and Adam Spiegler's Cloned! What attracted you to this show? As soon as Tom Wojtunik (our director, who I had just worked with at APAC in Allegro) told me about the show, I knew I wanted to be a part of it. The script is hysterically funny and perfectly chaotic. Who wouldn't want to be involved!?
2. What do you identify most with about your character? How do I identify with playing a 90s icon?? If I had a nickel for every time I've been asked that.... :) Well, that's simple - like her, I do everything myself.
3. What do you like about being part of NYMF in a new musical? This is my NYMF debut! I love being in new musicals. There are no comparisons to consider. Everyone just gets to play and create from scratch.
4. What do you hope audiences come away with after seeing Cloned!? I hope their cheeks hurt from laughing too much.
5. Since Cloned! is about, well, cloning yourself, what would you do with 2 versions of yourself? Good question! First thing that comes to mind-pranking my sisters. Oh! And scoping out Starbucks stores to find the shortest line.
6. The show also potentially incorporates teleporting. If you could have the power to teleport, where would you go? I would most definitely go back to when I was about 10 years old and put a stop to the haircut my mom decided to give me herself. That mullet still haunts me.
7. You were just cast in the first national tour of Kinky Boots. What was it like when you found out the news? What are you looking forward to most about going on tour with this hit show? Yes! I was on a public bus at the time and I'm sure I looked like a crazy person from the huge smile on my face and the occasional "hee hee hee!"s that escaped my mouth. Then I called my family. I was very excited. There are so many things I'm looking forward to. I know a couple people in the show already so I'm sure that will be great. There are many people I haven't seen around the country for a long time and I'll get a chance to see them. I also just love the show. It is so much fun and has such a great message. I'm ready to strap the boots on and get KINKY!!
8. Who or what inspired you to become a performer? I think it's in the genes. My whole family sings. My parents were in theatre in high school and college. The same for my older sisters. I just followed in their footsteps.
9. Who haven't you worked with that you would like to? High hopes! I would love more than anything to work with Meryl Streep. Her work is so grounded and inspiring. I would even settle for a chance to pick her brain.
10. What's the best advice you've ever received? Be yourself. It means so much more than just those two words.
11. What have you learned about yourself from being a performer? I've learned to stop thinking so much and just feel. If it feels good, I'm doing something right.
12. Aside from teleporting, if you could have any super power, which one would you choose? Telekinesis. It would actually make cleaning fun.
13. What do you want to be remembered for? Perseverance and love for what I do.
Crystal is so happy to be making her NYMF debut! She was last seen in The King And I (Anna) at Arrow Rock Lyceum Theatre. Other credits include: Because Of Winn Dixie (Sunny) a new musical by Duncan Sheik and Nell Benjamin - Arkansas Rep Theatre, Allegro (Jenny Brinker) also directed by Tom Wojtunik - APAC, The Sound Of Music (Maria) - Surflight Theatre and Westchester Broadway Theatre (u/s), The Full Monty (Pam) - Riverside Theatre, Grease (Sandy) and The Little Mermaid(Ariel u/s performed) - Tuacahn Center for the Arts, Nine (Luisa u/s) starring Robert Cuccioli - Westchester Broadway Theatre. TV/Commercials: Person of Interest on CBS, Athenos Feta Cheese National commercial nominated for TruTV's Funniest Commercial of the Year. Up next? The First National Tour of Broadway's Tony Award Winning Kinky Boots!!