MAC & Bistro Award-winning vocalist Marta Sanders will return to the Laurie Beechman Theatre with a special Valentine's show, Be My Valentine, for two performances only: Saturday, February 15 at 7pm & Sunday, February 16 at 1pm. She will be accompanied by Musical Director John McMahon on the piano. This show is staged & directed by Debra Zalkind. Click here for tickets!
Marta will also be co-hosting Salon, the multiple award winning weekly open mic, at Etcetera Etcetera (352 West 44th Street) on Sunday, February 9 from 7pm-10:30pm, created and hosted by Mark Janas. The theme of the evening is All Kinds of Love. Come get a sneak peak of Marta on February 9 at Etcetera Etcetera, then join her on February 15 & 16 at The Laurie Beechman Theatre for her show Be My Valentine!
For more on Marta be sure to visit: http://www.martanyc.com!
1. On February 15 & 16, you are returning to The Laurie Beechman Theatre with your new show Be My Valentine. What are you looking forward to about this upcoming show? I look forward to singing some new songs and some old chestnuts. I look forward to laughing with my friends, old and new.
2. What do you hope audiences come away with after seeing Be My Valentine? I hope people will be lifted and relaxed after laughing and sighing at silly and loving characters and songs.
3. You have previously played The Laurie Beechman Theatre. What do you enjoy most about performing there? What does it offer you and your show that another venue might not? Kenny and staff have always made me feel at home. I appreciate that my audience can eat good food and see the show at an affordable price.
4. What made you want to do a Valentine's themed show? Because of my busy schedule as a tour guide, I have a small window when I can take the time to focus and rehearse a show. Winter months are slower for the tour business. I'd done my Christmas show for several years and wanted to do something different. People are looking for a lift during February so...
5. What is your secret to finding and keeping love in your life? Respect and laughter and holding hands.
7. In addition to singing, you are one of the top tour guides in NYC, celebrating your 20th Anniversary. What does it mean to you to be one of the top tour guides? I get to be "in" the City every day. I get to experience fabulous events that are planned for my guests. I get to visit and know well, the world class sites that our millions of visitors travel long distances at great expense to see. I get to spend my days schmoozing and laughing with people from all over the world in the city that I love.
8. How do you feel you've grown over the past 20 years as a tour guide? How have you kept your tours interesting for you and those you show around the city? What I get to do is entertain, which is my talent and passion. I've been able to grow as an artist because I work my "chops" every day. Like doing a show 8 times a week for years, every audience is different. I'm seeing my city through fresh eyes, and changing attitudes about what the city is really like, not what they've seen on TV and movies and heard in the news. Also, there is nothing that is always the same when moving people through the city. Logistics is as important as the story and so every tour does a different schedule so that keeps me on my toes. I'm not on a double decker bus that does the same route day in day out.
9. If you could give a tour of NYC to any celebrity, who would you want on your tour? Mariska Hargitay.
10. If you could have any super power, which one would you choose? Superwoman.
In addition to her Broadway turn as an original cast member of The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, MARTA SANDERS has been a fixture on the New York music scene, performing at some of NYC’s top venues including Les Mouches, Rainbow & Stars, The Ballroom, Metropolitan Room, Sardi’s, Upstairs at Greene Street, The Triad & Carnegie Hall. She has also performed internationally, from Russia to South America to the Caribbean. Her latest CD, Panache was named one of 2012’s top ten CDs, alongside such luminaries as Barbara Cook.
Not just another pretty face with a voice, Marta is celebrating her 20th anniversary as one of NYC’s top tour guides, leading tourists from Battery Park to Harlem, from theatres to monuments. Her "Welcome to New York" presentations include well known New York and Broadway songs, as she uses her humor & entertaining charisma to personally welcome guests to her beloved city.