Mr. Gorgeous is 6 feet 5 inches of colossal classic allure, who is the recipient of the Boylesque Beef Cake award, will be hitting Stage 72 in New York City on Saturday, November 2 for an evening of burlesque dancing with Gotham Burlesque. At 10pm, come join some of Gotham's most seductive and entertaining burlesque dancers including Poppy Tart, Nasty Canasta, Dangrrr Doll, Kyle Peterson, Justina Flash, and Leo The Human Contortionist. Stage 72 (formally The Triad Theater) is located at 158 West 72nd Street, 2nd Floor. Click here for tickets!
1. Who or what inspired you to become a burlesque performer? I have always enjoyed performing. I was given a strong push from Trixie Little and The Evil Hate Monkey when we met up at circus school many years back. I started burlesque performing a duo acrobatic strip with another guy then moved onto solo work as "Mr. Gorgeous."
2. What do you enjoy most about this form of dance? The thing I enjoy most about this form of dance… hmmm Dance? I guess you could call me a dancer. HAHA - I love the wide range of moves burlesque allows under its umbrella. I’m a tall guy with very little rhythm. I like to play with comedic interpretations of classic dancers and throw in a few homemade moves of my own.
3. How did you come up with your stage name Mr. Gorgeous? Prior to focusing 100% on costuming and performance I taught pre-kindergarten art in a Baltimore City school. My last name is Gorsuch…One of the students made a slip up and called me Mr. Gorgeous – not Mr. Gorsuch. The slip up caught on at the school and before the end of the day most of the students were calling me Mr. Gorgeous. I just kept the name!
4. Who haven't your worked with that you would like to? I would love to work with Bob Mackey – I want him to glam me up and parade me around. LOL I think he would be an awesome person to work on visual concepts with.
5. You are going to be performing in Gotham Burlesque on November 2. What excites you most about this show? I have performed in the Gotham burlesque show once before. I am really looking forward to the November 2nd show. Regardless if I’m in the show or not, I’ve always known Gotham Burlesque to show quality performers. I know it’s going to be a great show, so I happy to hop on the Gotham train!
6. What do you hope audiences come away with after seeing you perform? I want people to laugh. I feel like I’ve done my job when I can look out into an audience and see the straight guy, older woman, gay man, and bachelorette party all cracking up and enjoying my performance equally.
7. What is your favorite part of the creative process in putting a routine or show together? I love creating props and costumes. I build all of my props and costumes. Usually I start with a visual concept, then evolving that visual with a strong story or concept.
8. In addition to dancing, you also make costumes for the circus and burlesque community. What do you get from designing costumes that you don't get from dancing? I like creating costumes for other performers because I know how good it feels to be wearing a unique custom piece. It can also be a fun challenge figuring out how to design a visual concept that needs to break away or change quickly during an act.
9. What have you learned about yourself from being a burlesque dancer and a costume designer? Go big or go home.
10. What's the best advice you've ever received? "Every show counts kids!" – Murray Hill
11. I'm sure there are a lot of guys (and girls) out there who want to get a deeper look into the life of Mr. Gorgeous. What is one thing people don't know about you that you wish they did? Hmmmm – I have had many odd jobs over the years including working as a taxidermist for 7 years and catching on the flying trapeze for almost 8!
12. I would imagine that you melt a lot of hearts and easily make guys rise to the occasion. If someone wanted to dance their way into your heart, what steps would they need to take to do so? I have a great guy in my life but love meeting fun people!!! Although I’m a wild man on stage, I’m a bit quiet off the stage. They should just walk up and say…"What’s shaking!" I like fun people! Make me laugh – I love that. I tend to turn into a chatter box after that initial conversation had begun!
13. How do you keep that killer body of yours so fit? Ha-ha Well the body is a work in progress but I train circus acrobatics and aerials numerous times each week so I rarely visit the gym.
14. Boxers or Briefs? Boxer-briefs for sure…I want to know where everything is at all times.
15. Favorite way to spend a romantic evening with someone special? Sitting on the couch with my boy, sipping Bud Lite Lime, and watching the latest Judge Judy episode. Sexy right!!!
Combining circus, comedy, and charisma, Gorgeous amuses audiences of all types with his light hearted approach to contemporary burlesque – A pure spectacle of foolishness and mayhem in the best possible sense. When he’s not pealing out of his own costumes, he’s designing and building them for the circus and burlesque community. If it stretches – he sews it! His most recent achievements include competing for the title of Best Boylesque at the Burlesque Hall of Fame 2012 and was the proud recipient of the Boylesque Beef Cake award at the 10th Anniversary of the New York Burlesque Festival.