When Tony Award winner Beth Leavel takes the stage, people take notice! She is a dynamic performer with a powerful voice, excellent comedic acting skills, and a dramatic fire the shines brightly! She won the 2006 Tony Award for Best Featured Actress in a Musical for "The Drowsy Chaperone," an award she definitely deserved! Beth's other Broadway credits include "Baby It's You," "Elf," "Mamma Mia," "Young Frankenstein," "42nd Street," "The Civil War," "Show Boat," and "Crazy For You." Off-Broadway, Beth has dazzled theatre goers in "No, No, Nanette," "Lone Star Love," "The Jazz Singer," and "An Unfinished Song."
Audiences around the country have been lucky enough to see Beth in "Minsky's" (Ahmanson Theatre), "Dancing in the Dark" (The Old Globe), "A Little Night Music" (Civic Light Opera), "Boeing-Boeing" (Paper Mill Playhouse), and "Steel Magnolias" (North Carolina Theatre).
Previously seen in Lyric Theatre of Oklahoma's production of "Annie," Beth now returns to star in their production of "Call Me Madam," as part of their season dedicated to the legendary Chita Rivera! "Call Me Madam" runs from July 24-28. Click here for tickets!
For more on Beth be sure to visit http://www.bethleavel.com!
1. Who or what inspired you to become a performer? I am inspired with every show I do! But WAY back then...I remember being transformed by Robert Preston in "The Music Man" (the movie)...I remember feeling like I lifted my movie seat and went to Gary Indiana with all of them! Magic!
2. Who haven't you worked with that you would like to? That is a very long list: Top 3: Stephen Sondheim, John Kander, and Norbert Leo Butz.
3. You are going to be starring in Lyric Theatre of Oklahoma's production of "Call Me Madam" from July 24-28. What made you want to be part of this production? This is a found treasure that soooo few people have experienced! Me, and Lyric Theatre, and Michael Baron, can all put our personal stamp on it!
4. What do you hope audiences come away with after seeing the show? A smile on their face and a song in their heart!
5. Lyric Theatre of Oklahoma is dedicating this season to the legendary Chita Rivera. What does it mean to you to be performing during this special season? What has Chita Rivera either symbolized for you or meant to you as a performer? I worship at the alter of the legendary Chita....She is divine.
6. You first came on my radar in "The Drowsy Chaperone." What did you enjoy most about this show and what did winning a Tony Award for Best Featured Actress? "The Drowsy Chaperone" was a beautiful gift....The palette for this character was completely open and the director Casey Nicholaw and the creative team and me gave birth to this amazing character...and then I got the TONY award! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??
7. You are finishing up starring in one of my all time favorite shows "Thoroughly Modern Millie" at the Muny in St. Louis with fellow "Call Me Adam" participant Andrew Samonsky. What has been the best part about starring in this show? I had never even seen "Millie" (because I was doing "42nd St" at the time)..so I loved learning this show and being this delicious "bad guy" "Mrs. Meers"...such good comedy!
8. What have you learned about yourself from being a performer? I could write (and continue to write) a book on that question....
9. What's the best advice you've ever received? To thine own self be true....and be persistant.
10. If you could dream about anyone while you sleep, who would it be? I can't tell you...sigh...
11. Favorite way to stay in shape? My favorite way to stay in shape is to bust my ass on 8 shows a week!!! (I also do a lot of walking).
12. Favorite skin care product? Estee Lauder Skin Idealist...
13. If you could have any super power, which one would you choose? I would love to fly and be able to cure disease! Nice huh????