Described as a cross between Harry Connick, Jr. and John Pizzarrelli, John Malino has worked with the best jazz musicians in the world, playing everything from Harold Arlen to Hank Williams. In his 20 years as a bandleader, Manhattan-born John Malino has played from L.A. nightclubs to inaugural balls. John Malino has shared the stage with Lionel Hampton while jazz legend David Sanborn has played sax on John’s original tune, "If I had a Genie."
Born John William Scheuer in New York City, his father, James H. Scheuer was a Congressman for New York City for 27 years, John spent much of his childhood in D.C., later studied at Bennington College, then came back to NYC to pursue music. John is a singer-guitarist who plays many jazz standards with roots in jazz playing Gershwin, Johnny Cash, or Jimmy Hendrix. John has played Santa Monica Music Festival, Sacramento Jazz Festival, Garage, Backfence, The Kennedy Center, Birdland, and is a regular at Sardi's Friday Night Jazz.
1. Who or what inspired you to become a musician? The Beatles.
2. Who haven't you worked with that you would like to? Duet of Baby It's Cold Outside with Dianna Krall.
3. You play regularly at Feinstein's at Loews Regency in NYC throughout the year. What do you like most about performing here? It's a fantastic room with a really fine sound but the management and staff have really made it something very special.
4. How do you keep your shows fresh for fans who come on a regular basis? Constantly change material, never do the same show twice.
5. What do you hope audiences come away with after attending one of your concerts? The shared joy of hearing great musicians playing (mostly) classic material with abandon just for the love of it.
6. What's your favorite part of the creative process in putting a concert together? Seeing those song titles on paper come to life onstage.
7. Where is your favorite place to rehearse on your own? Somewhere uninterupptable with great acoustics...as for songwriting, I usually get my best work done right at home in noisy New York.
8. What's the best advice you've ever received? Breathe.
9. If you could dream about anyone while you sleep, who would it be? Richard Pryor maybe, for dream laughing. It might be fun to channel some new tunes from a Cole Porter dream. Or maybe a flight around the 5 boroughs with Superman. Tough question, a lot more possibilities there.
10. If you could have any super power, which one would you choose? Anything resembling flight would do.
11. Favorite way to spend your day off? With family, maybe a nap in there somewhere.
12. Favorite way to stay in shape? Swimming and mostly just the running around and lugging of life.
13. Boxers or Briefs? Boxers.