Winner of the 2011 Mr. Gay USA Pageant, Eddie Rabon is a performer on the rise! He has starred in The Goodspeed's "Li'l Abner," "Far Out" in the 2009 NYC International Fringe Festival's (which also starred current "Priscilla Queen of the Dessert" star Nick Adams), Broadway Bares, Justin Sayre's "The Meeting," Steven Brinberg's "Simply Barbra" and various concerts and industry readings around New York City.
As Mr. Gay USA, Eddie travels the country talking to Gay Youth. For more on Eddie be sure to follow him on Twitter (@MrGayUSA)!
1. Who or what inspired you to enter the Mr. Gay USA Pageant? I grew up in the south, where pageants are pretty prevalent so it was something that I was around. A lot of my girl friends (and I had a lot since I basically grew up in a dance studio) participated in pageants. When I entered, it was something to check off my "bucket list," so to say.
2. What did you hope to gain from entering the Mr. Gay USA Pageant? I just wanted to have fun and meet new people. Yes, I had a few friends (former pageant winners in their own right) grill me for the interview portions of the competition and I kicked up my gym routine, but that was just part of challenging myself to be the best I could be for this particular event. More importantly, I met some great guys from around the country who are really making a difference in their communities.
3. What has winning Mr. Gay USA done for you? Aside from this beautiful sash to wear out on the town, it's really pushing me to continue to evolve and grow. It's such an amazing time to be a member of the LBGT community.
4. If you weren't Mr. GAY USA, what would you be doing? My daily life really hasn't changed since winning Mr. Gay USA.
5. What's the best advice you've ever received? My grandmother told me that you should always leave home dressed to face the world because you never know who you'll meet. Makes me think twice about leaving my apartment in sweatpants.
6. Favorite way to spend your day off? Sleeping in and catching up with my mom and friends. What can I say, I'm a momma's boy.
7. Favorite way to stay in shape? Running (I love running in Central Park or down the Westside Highway in the summer), urban rebounding (thats cardio with mini-trampolines), and lifting. I've recently started getting into jump-roping; it's a great (and portable) way to get in some cardio while on the road traveling.
8. Boxers or Briefs? Briefs.
9. Favorite website? I'm always on Facebook. What's the Socrates quote? "The unexamined life is not worth living"...Let's just say I like examining life.
10. Superman or Wonder Woman? I get far to many Clark Kent comparisons when I wear glasses, so I've got to go with Superman.
11. Do you have any strange or unusual talent that nobody knows about? Some things have to remain that "nobody knows about" category.
12. If you could dream about anyone while you sleep, who would it be? Ryan Gosling. He's dreamy.