Barbara Walsh is an award winning, Tony-nominated actress worth watching! From theatre to film to television, Barbara can do it all! She is best known for her Tony-nominated performance as "Trina" in William Finn's "Falsettos" for which she also received a Drama Desk nomination and Los Angeles Ovation Award. She also received a Drama Desk nomination for her performance as "Joanne" in John Doyle's Tony-winning revival of "Company" which was filmed for "Great Performances" on PBS. Barbara's numerous other Broadway credits include "Hairspray," "Big," "Blood Brothers," "Nine," "Rock 'n Roll: the first 5,000 years," and "Ragtime."
Off-Broadway, Barbara has delighted audiences in "Normal," "1,000 Words Come To Mind," "Birds of Paradise," "Stars in Your Eyes," and "Forbidden Broadway." She's entertained audiences in that national tours of "Oklahoma!," "Les Miserables," and "Chess" while regional audiences have seen her in "Maser Class" (Papermill Playhouse), "Grey Gardens" (Washington, DC's Studio Theatre), "33 Variations" (Capital Rep), "A Little Night Music" (Baltimore's Center Stage), "Company" (Cincinnati Playhouse), "First Wives Club" and "Dinner With Friends" (Old Globe Theatre), "Creating Claire" and "The Sisters Rosensweig" (George Street Playhouse), "Side By Side" (The Muny), "The Most Happy Fella" (Great Lakes Theatre Festival), "The Rythm Club" (Signature Theatre), and "A Streetcar Named Desire" (Gretna Theatre). Barbara's gorgeous vocals can be heard on the recordings of "Company (revival)," "Broadway Unplugged: I and II," "Big," "A...My Name is Alice," and "The Best of Forbidden Broadway." Her film and television credits include "Life With Mikey," "Law & Order," "Law & Order: Criminal Intent," and "One Life To Live."
Barbara can currently be seen in the hilarious new Off-Broadway show "Reading Under The Influence" where she gets to show off her talented acting skills! "Reading Under The Influence" plays at the DR2 Theatre in Union Square in NYC (103 East 15th Street) through May 15! Click here for tickets!
1. Who or what inspired you to become a performer? As most performers I did high school musicals and during the summers I would work at a regional theatre helping out backstage, sewing costumes and stage managing and things of that nature. One summer I saw Ronnie Claire Edwards in Angel Street and that performance inspired me to pursue a career on stage.
2. Who is the one person you haven't worked with that you would like to? Michelle Pawk.
3. What attracted you to "Reading Under The Influence"? The fist thing that attracted me to Reading Under the Influence was our director, Wendy C. Goldberg, we have worked together before and she is fantastic. Also that beneath this comedy, I really liked what playwright Tony Glazer is saying about the human condition.
4. What's the best advice you've ever received? Examine human behavior not the other actors and trust in your own gifts.
5. Favorite place to rehearse/practice on your own? The comfort of my own home.
6. Favorite way to stay in shape? Bikram yoga.
7. Favorite skin care product? Clarin’s night cream.
8. Favorite way to spend your day off? In the park with my husband and dog.
9. Favorite website? I try to avoid the computer so I do not have a favorite website.
10. Superman or Wonder Woman? Wonder Woman.
11. Do you have any strange or unusual talent that nobody knows about? I can tap dance the drum solo to the song Wipe Out.
12. If you could dream about anyone while you sleep, who would it be? My mom.