Call Answered: Jonathan Reid Gealt
Jonathan is currently working on his debut musical, Forward. The Forward demo recordings have gained buzz online and around the city with such Broadway heavyweights as Kelli O'Hara, Liz Callaway, Lauren Kennedy, Shoshana Bean, Michael McElroy, Jonathan Groff, Michael Arden, Lewis Cleale, Tituss Burgess, Max Von Essen, Marty Thomas, and more.
Jonathan's music has been featured in concerts and venues in Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Manila, Japan, Australia, London, and New York including the Broadway in South Africa Benefits, UNSUNG 2007, Miracle on 13th Street, Performers for Peace, Cutting Edge Composers II, The MNNV series, The Laurie Beechman, The Duplex, The Triad, The Canal Room, and the MAKOR. He also wrote jingles for The Barn Theatre's 2003 summer season in Michigan.
Jonathan is a performer as well as a composer and some performing credits include [NEW YORK]: Jason Robert Brown: In Concert (Birdland), The Music of Lucy Simon (Joe's Pub) Unsung 2007 (BCEFA Benefit), The Secret Garden (Hammerstein Ballroom), Rags (The Nokia Theater) and Miracle on 13th St. [NAT'L TOUR]: Junie B. Jones [REGIONAL]: Les Miserables (Atlanta Theater of the Stars, Kansas City Starlight, The Wolf Trap), Mame, Annie Get Your Gun, The Sound of Music (Saint Louis MUNY), Thrill Me (Stoneham Theatre), Cats, Jesus Christ Superstar (Barn Theatre). [FILM/TV]: Kidnapped (NBC), Across the Universe.
Jonathan has appeared as a soloist with the Boston Pops under the baton of Keith Lockhart and is a graduate of The Boston Conservatory.
To learn more about Jonathan, his music, his upcoming projects, and to purchase sheet music...check out the following two sites: http://www.jonathan-reid-gealt.com AND http://www.myspace.com/jrgealt. This Monday, January 11 at 8pm come hear "The Music of Jonathan Reid Gealt" in concert at The Canal Room with performances by some of today's hottest Broadway stars.
1. Who inspired you to become a songwriter? Adam Guettel, Jason Robert Brown, Andew Lippa, Billy Joel, Stevie Wonder, Stephen Sondheim, Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty, my best friends, and my mom.
2. If you could have anyone perform your music, who would you choose? Everyone! Ha! I've been really fortunate to work with some of my favorite singers of all time. However, Steven Pasquale, Gavin Creel, Audra McDonald, Caissie Levy, Jennifer Hudson, Adam Lambert, Justin Timberlake, Laura Benanti, Kristin Chennoweth, Christina Aguilera, and Pink are just a few that are way up there.
3. Is there ever a time you thought about quitting? If so, what did you consider doing? Not really. I can't imagine doing anything else. Although, I did want to be a professional baseball player when I was a kid. Massage Therapy is also great!
4. What's the best advice a teacher ever gave you? Stay true to yourself and everything you do will be original.
5. Favorite way to stay in shape? Swimming.
6. Boxers or Briefs? Boxer-Briefs!
7. Favorite play/musical? As far as musicals go, I have 3. "Ragtime," "The Secret Garden," and "Sweeney Todd." As far as plays go, "The Pillowman" blew me away. "Reasons To Be Pretty" was incredible.
8. Favorite TV theme song? The Flintstones.
9. Favorite website? Youtube. Is that sad?
10. Superman or Wonder Woman? Superman all the way!