Independent singer/songwriter, Jay Brannan is on the rise. He has self-published his own music, starred in John Cameron Mitchell's "Shortbus" (plus he contributed a song to the film's soundtrack), and extensively toured the US & abroad singing his heart out and connecting with fans. Jay's first music release was the 4-song EP "Unmastered", which debuted at #2 on iTunes Folk Albums Chart. His second release was the full length album "GODDAMNED", which debuted at #25 on the overall iTunes album charts & featured as one of iTunes "Best New Artists of 2008". His latest release is an album of covers + two orginal songs called "IN LIVING COVER". It takes a truly talented artist to take someone else's song and make it their own while keeping true to the original, but Jay Brannan has that talent which he clearly demonstrates on "IN LIVING COVER". With an allegence of fans, Jay knows how to captivate and connect with his audience, not only with his voice, but with his stage presence. He just finished the US leg of his "I Suck At Life" tour with the European leg kicking off in September. Be sure to catch him! For more on Jay and his music visit: http://www.jaybrannan.com.
1. Who inspired you to become a performer? i really dont know, but if i ever find out who is responsible for me pursuing a career in entertainment, i'm going to kill them.
2. Is there ever a time you thought about quitting? hell yeah, i think about it everyday! i've been really lucky to get to do some incredible stuff, and i'm so grateful, but it is more work and more terrifying and more difficult (and more expensive!) than people can imagine. i actually have "quit" before, but somehow i ended up back in it, so...i guess i'll keep going til i decide to stop :)
3. Do you have any strange or unusual talent that no one knows about? i can eat 400 times my body weight in ramen noodles.
4. What's the weirdest thing you've read about yourself and where did you read it? i've actually read a lot of crazy shit about myself, but i attached a quote from a UK magazine that's rather amazing (read the part in black).
"If your'e going to have sex on film you want to look your best, right? That added pressure on trying to keep it up, you can't fake that. And we're under these bright lights and there's people watching and it was start and stop for six hours." -Straight boy Jay Brannan on his first gay threesome.
5. If you could dream about anyone while you sleep, who would it be? buffy the vampire slayer.
6. Favorite way to stay in shape? swimming.
7. Boxers or Briefs? briefs.
8. Favorite hobby? is having sex a hobby?
9. Favorite website? www.continental.com.
10. Superman or Wonder Woman? superman.
11. What's your most embarrassing on-stage moment? i played a song at the Shortbus premiere afterparty, and i followed this performance artist who was naked and squeezing red syrup all over herself from a foam heart (as if it were blood). the syrup "blood" was all over the floor and when i sat down on a chair with my guitar to play, the chair slipped in the syrup and i fell on my ass and my jeans got all stained red.
12. What was your first face to face encounter like? yikes this i actually don't remember! i do remember my first "fanmail" ever though :) back when people had friendster!! i saved a copy :)