A native of Santa Cruz, CA, Katie Webber studied dance at San Jose State University. Her Broadway credits include Rock of Ages, Catch Me If You Can, Memphis, and Wicked. Katie was a contest on Season 3 of American Idol and has made appearances on NBC's Smash and IFC's Onion News Network and will be seen in the upcoming film Imogene with Kristen Wiig.
Currently Katie is starring in Brian Gianci's new comedy Let's Kill Grandma This Christmas, a rip-roaring holiday black comedy that takes place as a family gathers to celebrate Christmas Eve dinner. After a rough year rife with economic difficulties, some family members ponder the question...at 80 years old, how much longer does Grandma need to hold on to her vast fortune?
Let's Kill Grandma This Christmas runs through January 6 at the Theatre at St. Clements (423 West 46th Street, between 8th & 9th Avenue). Click here for tickets and follow the show on Facebook and Twitter!
1. Who or what inspired you to become a performer? I've always known I wanted to be onstage! I began dancing at age 3 and I couldn't be stopped. My focus quickly broadened to include singing and acting, and theatre ended up being a great fit for me!
2. Who haven't you worked with that you would like to? I have always wished I could work with Bob Fosse. What a dream!
3. What attracted you to "Let's Kill Grandma This Christmas"? As soon as I got the material for the audition, I was attracted to this play. Brian Gianci, the writer, has created a perfect balance of reality and absurdity that make this play so much fun to do! You cannot read a single page of the script without laughing!
4. What do you hope audiences come away with after seeing the show? I hope the audience leaves this show having laughed a lot! The holidays can be a stressful, pressure filled time, and this play is a chance to do something Christmassy that doesn't take itself too seriously.
5. What do you identify most with about your character? My character is a manipulative, evil woman, and I'll admit, playing the villain is fun!! Sometimes it frightens me that all that meanness is inside of me somewhere, but I figure if I get it out onstage, then I won't bring it home!
6. What is your favorite part of the rehearsal/preview period in a show? Where is your favorite place to rehearse on your own? Our rehearsal process has been such a learning experience for me. I've never done a straight play, so this is new territory. I am challenging myself and having a great time taking risks! When I'm rehearsing on my own, I am usually in my bedroom. It's a calm, safe place.
7. You were a contestant on Season 3 of "American Idol." Looking back, what did you enjoy most about this experience? Wow, American Idol feels like a lifetime ago! In a way, it's hard to look at because I have grown so much since then. It was a very cool experience to be surrounded by so much talent. And the pressure surrounding it, makes it a very unique experience. It's something that I am happy I did, but I wouldn't want to do it again.
8. What have you learned about yourself from being a performer? Working as a performer has proven to me how much I love being in front of an audience. It's that strange thing of, I'd rather be in front of 2,000 people, than in front of three people. It just feels natural and I couldn't imaging doing anything else!
9. What's the best advice you've ever received? The best advice I have ever received is to be nice. Be easy to work with. Be professional and kind and people will always want to work with you.
10. If you could dream about anyone while you sleep, who would it be? When I go to sleep at night, I hope I get to dream of my niece and nephew! They are precious angels!
11. Favorite way to spend your day off? I love to spend my day off relaxing! I always say I am too good at being a lady of leisure!
12. Favorite way to stay in shape? When I'm not dancing, I try to stay in shape with hot yoga. Good for body and mind!
13. Favorite skin care product? My favorite skincare product is anything made by Rhonda Allison.
14. If you could have any super power, which one would you choose? If I had to narrow it down to only one super power, it would have to be to fly!! How amazing would it be to fly around the city?!